Cucamelons no flowers or melons

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Marb, I've merged this with your previous thread for continuity.

I had 2 cucamelon plants in a GH and picked about 4. To be honest, they're so small and tiddly I'm not going to grow them again. I'd rather grow a proper cucumber.
    My opologies VC, I had forgot I had already made a post about this. Should have checked.

Comment

No problem, Marb

Comment

They give me the creeps! Does no one else think they look lide snakes heads? I can't stand snakes and after trying a few of the cukamelons I can't say I'm too impressed with the taste either

Whatever are left on the plants I might try pickling in the hope it will soften the rubbery skins and hopefully inject a bit of taste into them!
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

The taste is nothing to write home about but an interesting addition to your olives and other nibbles. I imagine that with fish or chicken the lemony taste would be complimentary.

Comment

I grew about 6 plants, two outdoors and 4 in the gh, "harvested" one, plenty of flowers but not a lot else.

Comment

I pickled mine, which turned out rubbery. Mine are all up now.

Anyone know if you can eat the tubers?

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Grew them last year.
                Just another overhyped rubbish veg.
                Cucumbers far more rewarding.
                Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post

You sound like Hugh Fearnley Eatitall trying to eat anything. Give them a try, if you don't come back on the vine we'll know they've killed you and I won't bother trying them mesell! (Only joking btw)
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Jay-ell View Post

Were they rubbery before or after pickling?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Just spent 30 mins on Google. Only thing people seem to do with roots is overwinter them.

I think someone posted to Wong's blog that they were edible but Wong said he knew nothing about about eating them.
                      Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

After pickling. If I tried it again then I'd brine them first (which I didn't do this time) to see if that made a different

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                        ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                          Were they rubbery before or after pickling?
                          Cue for song :-

Lots of cukies for me to eat
                          Lots of compost making lots of heat,
                          Warm head, warm hands,warm feet.
                          Oh cucamelons are so rubbery, rubbery, rubbery..............

Sorry, as you were....

Comment

Mine was rubbish until someone on here suggested putting the plant outside and it suddenly started producing well! Tasty fruit... Especially halved in a g&t!

Comment

I grew three plants, two went in the greenhouse, the other outside. The outside one got slugged to the ground almost overnight, one of the greenhouse ones got slugged almost to the ground, but one stubborn leaf is still somehow lingering, not growing at all, and the final plant has been covered in flowers for months, but I've picked only half a fruit (a slug et the other half). No idea why, all the fruit just drop off. The door's been left open all summer, so I don't think it's lack of pollinating insects.

Annoyingly, I have tried them, and I really like them. Maybe next year...
                              My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

Isn't she rubbery
                                Isn't she wonderful
                                Isn't she precious
                                Less than one minute old
                                I never thought through love we'd be
                                Making one as rubbery as she
                                But isn't she rubbery made from love

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X