• Show
Clear All

• I normally start off in vending machine cups and plant like

Click image for larger version

Name:	Onions In Vending Machine Cups.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	2374192

Just drawn around a cup and drawn how I usually eyeball them in so around 10 - 15mm apart, but they go into the ground as a bunch once large enough, so If start them off in the square flower buckets at 20mm centres in both directions they have some growing room.

You have me thinking that cutting the bottom off one and using it to make a jig to flatten the soil then make the holes in a pattern is what I need to do next !
    sigpic
    . .......Man Vs Slug
    Click Here for my Diary and Blog
    Nutters Club Member

Comment

• If that the spacing that works for you, you could sink several bottomless cups into the pot and seed one a week.

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Today I cleared the leek bed of leeks that should have been picked in spring. Since then, they've bolted and suffered leek rust Most of the heads were cut off when they started to bolt but I left a few - 'cos they were pretty
        To my surprise, they've been splitting underground and look more like elephant garlic than leeks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75331[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75332[/ATTACH]

There are plenty more!!
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]75333[/ATTACH]

Ted's impressed................

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75334[/ATTACH]

The plan is to replant them all and see what happens next!!
        The growths at the bottom of leeks are what show leek growers call 'King Pods'. Once planted, thay will bolt very quickly and produce seed pips and grass for next years crop.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

• When do I plant them Snadge? Straight away?
          or can I plant & eat them quickly before they bolt?
          I get very confused with allium jargon! Seeds, pips, pods, bulbils, grass............

Comment

• Got to thinking about how to make setting out the seeds easier and decided to make a marking out jig.So I cut a bucket to the same size as the one in the posting above and marked out the sowing pattern on the bottom of the bucket

Name:	2017-07-31 Onion Jig 02 - Mark Up.jpg
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	2374195

Got my trusty soldering iron out, warmed it up and then made the holes in the base of the bucket

Name:	2017-07-31 Onion Jig 03 - Holes.jpg
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	2374196

The template will be used to flatten the compost in the growing flower bucket and to create holes with a dibber for sowing the onion seeds.

Name:	2017-07-31 Onion Jig 04 - In Use.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	2374197

Made the jig up - now to look at when I can sow the next batch of onions
            Last edited by Cadalot; 31-07-2017, 07:22 PM.
            sigpic
            . .......Man Vs Slug
            Nutters Club Member

Comment

• VC, was it Two Sheds who only grew regular leeks this way?

Can you remember the variety of the leeks, I wonder if some may be more prone to reverting than others which have had the tendency bred out. I pulled a couple of the variety Elefant (not to be confused with elephant) and they were not only bulbing up but had a couple little baby bulbs on the bottom so I've left the rest to see what happens.

The ones I planted to let them go like this (Musselburgh I think) struggled because they had a cauliflower on them. They survived but their bulbs were small so I've moved them to see if they get through till next year (planted last year)

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
              ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
              ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

• I "think" 2S used to cut the leeks at ground level and let them grow back. Could be wrong though.
                As to the leeks, I'll have a gander through last year's notes - see if I can identify them. I may be some time..................

Comment

• Sorry, can't find out what the leeks were There were at least 2 types. I have a few more to dig up and they will be a 3rd type. Not sure what I'll find but these are hooooooooooooge.

Meanwhile, these are self seeded leeks from 2 years ago and left to their own devices - as they will be this year.

Name:	DSCF8954.jpg
Size:	269.3 KB
ID:	2374198

Comment

• I've decided to try an overwintering spring onion SoilFixer SF60 Experiment so there is SoilFixer SF60 at 20% in one bucket and just multipurpose compost in the other one

First thing was to stick a copper band around the flower bucket as I don't want the slugs and snails eating my experiment over the winter. I don't know how the little buggers get into the greenhouse but they do manage it somehow.

Name:	2017-08-04 OWOnions 01.jpg
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	2374323

The Compost was put into the flower bucket and the jig used to compress the compost and a dibber used in the holes to mark out the spacing for the Mr Fothergill's Eiffel Spring Onions. Looking at the back of the packs I have found some other onions that can be sown in August & September they are, Mr Fothergill's Evergreen Bunching and Suttons Ramrod so I may do a few more buckets using them.

Name:	2017-07-31 Onion Jig 04 - In Use.jpg
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	2374325

I was quite impressed with how well the jig worked

Name:	2017-08-04 OWOnions 02.jpg
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	2374324

A little time consuming but I do find this kind of thing fairly therapeutic

Name:	2017-08-04 OWOnions 03.jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	2374326

Watered in

Name:	2017-08-04 OWOnions 05.jpg
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	2374327
                    Last edited by Cadalot; 07-08-2017, 12:57 PM. Reason: typos
                    sigpic
                    . .......Man Vs Slug
                    Nutters Club Member

Comment

• Then placed in the space saver Greenhouse with the other Bucket

Name:	2017-08-07 OWOnions 06.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	2374328
                      sigpic
                      . .......Man Vs Slug
                      Nutters Club Member

Comment

• Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                        Today I cleared the leek bed of leeks that should have been picked in spring. Since then, they've bolted and suffered leek rust Most of the heads were cut off when they started to bolt but I left a few - 'cos they were pretty
                        To my surprise, they've been splitting underground and look more like elephant garlic than leeks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75331[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75332[/ATTACH]

There are plenty more!!
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]75333[/ATTACH]

Ted's impressed................

[ATTACH=CONFIG]75334[/ATTACH]

The plan is to replant them all and see what happens next!!
                        Finally planted all the bolted leeks Here's 2 that have dried off and you can see the side pods, which Snadger says will quickly bolt and produce grass. I'm hoping to pull them young as baby leeks. They look a bit like gravestones now!

Name:	DSCF9035.jpg
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	2374802 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF9040.jpg
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	2374803

Comment

• Ummmm I love to watch spring onions grow

Name:	Spring Onions.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	139.1 KB
ID:	2374804
                          sigpic
                          . .......Man Vs Slug
                          Nutters Club Member

Comment

• How many weeks did that take, Cad?

Comment

• That's actually 11 days from the first sign of germination on the 12th August and I took a photo each day but there is three days between the last two photos as I was busy or it was raining,

Now they are long grass they seem to move around a lot but the length growth is not as noticeable, I would really love to do a stop motion camera on them and watch them unfold and then follow the sun around
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Cadalot; 02-09-2017, 04:41 PM.
                              sigpic
                              . .......Man Vs Slug
                              Nutters Club Member

Comment

• Caders, if you took a photo every 15 min (would need a light at night time) 11 days would give about 40 seconds of video at 25fps. Even a cheap camera can do 8 megapixels so once rencoded it could be a 4k video.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                                ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                                ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X