Keyhole gardens

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ryez View Post
    I thought I've seen it somewhere, July 2016 GYO magazine, page 62-63, article with photos on how to build raised keyhole beds. !
    Really?
    Gosh...I've clearly not read mine right through yet!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      You could turn the central tower into a wormery.

Creatures are Nice, Ryez, repeat after me...............
      Creatures are Nice;
      Creatures are Nice.................
      You crack me up VC!

ps: Yes Nicos,
      I was also wondering whether you read your GYO mags! tsk tsk
      Last edited by Ryez; 11-08-2016, 10:52 PM. Reason: typo again!

Comment

I've got a keyhole bed with asparagus in it - but I'm not bothering with the whole composting business in the middle, it's just a keyhole shaped path cut into a square bed. I need to think of a way of shoring up the sides of the path, as the bed is about 18" deep - but it's difficult, as obviously it's circular, which kind of rules out planks!
        The main problem I can think of with beds like this is how to net them... their awkward shape would make building net tunnels/cages almost impossible. Therefore I plan to use them only for perennials, flowers, fruit bushes etc, not as part of my annual growing, which is done in regular shaped beds. This is the theory, at least... if I didn't have to work 40 hours a week, I might even be able to put it into practice!
        He-Pep!

Comment

This is the kind of thing I'm thinking of...

Attached Files
          He-Pep!

Comment

Ooh! I do like that Bario.
            There's something very pleasing about that design!

Now I'm wondering if I could manage to do that on my plot........
            http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by muddled View Post
              Ooh! I do like that Bario.
              There's something very pleasing about that design!

Now I'm wondering if I could manage to do that on my plot........
              OY you! Stop musceling in!
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                This is the kind of thing I'm thinking of...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67798[/ATTACH]
                Becaause my plot is roughly twice as long as it is wide, two of these end to end would look the business!
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by bario1 View Post
                  I've got a keyhole bed with asparagus in it - but I'm not bothering with the whole composting business in the middle, it's just a keyhole shaped path cut into a square bed. I need to think of a way of shoring up the sides of the path, as the bed is about 18" deep - but it's difficult, as obviously it's circular, which kind of rules out planks!
                  The main problem I can think of with beds like this is how to net them... their awkward shape would make building net tunnels/cages almost impossible. Therefore I plan to use them only for perennials, flowers, fruit bushes etc, not as part of my annual growing, which is done in regular shaped beds. This is the theory, at least... if I didn't have to work 40 hours a week, I might even be able to put it into practice!
                  Pantiles is what you needs.....................

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Crikey............I've just tried to sketch out a double version of bario's idea. This is really going to tax my technical drawing skills.

And here is me wanting to get away from straight lines and I have just swapped them for keyholes!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Someone posted something about the keyhole garden on here last year but I can't find it. They had mushrooms growing in their soil from the compost,I don't know if there should be a good depth of soil for that reason,so that the rots going on down low?

Comment

Pantiles? What are they? Auto-correct wants to say something else!
                        He-Pep!

Comment

So does everyone else on the Vine
                          Haven't you seen Snadge's Pantiles yet? He's always showing them to anyone who wants a peep

Comment

Come on then Snadger, I'm game - show us yer pantiles!

I've been thinking about large metal barrels cut in half for the retaining walls of the keyholes... just dreaming really though.
                            He-Pep!

Comment

I attempted to make a keyhole bed using a trampoline.
                              http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1107435

My DIY skills weren't up to it though
                              There are always trampolines up for grabs on freecycle etc.

Comment

keyhole should work great on allotments with the perchance to flood.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X