No announcement yet.

Broad beans....I'm done!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Realseeds.co.uk sell the gigantes type runner beans I think Ryez. I quite fancy trying them myself.

I was a bit unimpressed with the crop I got from the mix of the Sutton and Crimson Flowered that I grew this year but I love broad beans so I'll probably be a mug and go for it again. They were greenhouse grown initially and then planted out in spring as I didnt take on my plot until late November. This year I'll do Aquadulce though and sow direct in October.

Comment

Never bean a big fan of broad beans so only grew 6 plants from a garden centre this year but have gotten a reasonable crop off them.

Had a bit of a todo with my mother about shelling them as she never shelled them and neither did her mother . First she agreed that they looked better (bright green instead of grey) then agreed that they tasted better.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Originally posted by Ryez View Post
        Gigantes are the beans I was talking about, actually I called them butter beans in case you didn't know the name cause is Greek, it means giant! They are my fav! Didn't know you can grow them in the UK, may ask where you find them, which kind you grow? I would really LIKE to try growing them!
        The Gigantes that I've grown from Real Seeds are a type of runner bean, especially selected for their large bean seeds as opposed to tender pods. From what I can see they are a totally different variety of bean to butter beans but can be used in a similar way. Like all types of runners they grow well in the UK.

They are described on this page - Special Runner Bean vegetable seeds to buy from The Real Seed Catalogue UK

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Thanks to this thread I now have to get OH to build supporting frames for gigates next year as well as find a space for stereo broad beans.

I shouldn't come on this site, it's a bad influence on me l
          Another happy Nutter...

Comment

I didn't know you could grow Gigantes in the uk....that's made my day. Looks like I'll be having to dig up another bed for those next year
            Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
            Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
            Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
            Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

Ooh I say glad we're all chatting. So from my rusty bean disaster we all know about Gigantes now,result!I could be tempted to try them next year.
              All we have to worry about now is....well.....rust!

Comment

We've all strayed a bit off topic haven't we!
                Another happy Nutter...

Comment

oh my!! Greek gigantes can grow in the UK. Thanks so much for the info! My mom used to make them with tomato sauce and olive oil in the oven, and serve them with feta cheese, of course! The main thing, if you are cooking from dry, is to let them in the water overnight, as this will reduce the cooking time.

Comment

As I said, Gigantes are just a type of runner beans so if you can grow them then you can grow Gigantes and as far as I'm aware that's anywhere in he UK.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Yes, at this point I am aware of 3 types of runner beans. The first are the ones we usually grow for the pods, as the seeds are quite small. Then there is Gigantes, which I never seen fresh in my life, only dry, and they have massive seeds. And then there is another type, where the seeds are medium size. The pods swell a lot and you can just snap them and empty the seeds in a bucket. We used to cook bean soup with those or again use them in salads.
                      Last edited by Ryez; 05-08-2016, 09:53 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X