Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vegetable garden plans Side by side comparison of different spacing methods.

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
    I realise you are after a like for like measurement against the different plans, but the fact you have highlighted TS post and commented about storage veg, I get the impression you are after year round fresh veg.
    your assumption is wrong the reason I commented about the victory garden plan was that it was a survival type plan not a one fresh eating. I grow a balance for fresh eating and storage.
    Last edited by rollingrock; 01-08-2016, 03:21 PM.

Comment

the truth is you all are reading to much into my post.
      My point is that how the plans are written be it graphics, spacing suggested varieties and other such info is tough compare them on paper. the real world effectiveness of the plan is not point at all.

Comment

Originally posted by rollingrock View Post
        I commented about the victory garden plan was that it was a survival type plan not a one fresh eating.
        It was for eating veg that were harvested in their season, the only things that could be stored were the potatoes, onions, winter carrots and turnips perhaps.
        Peas, beans, salad stuff and cabbage, Brussels, kale, broccoli, spinach, parsnips and swede etc were all eaten freshly picked from the plot - the same as they are now, so I'm struggling to understand what you mean.
        Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 01-08-2016, 04:07 PM.

Comment

your assumption is wrong the reason I commented about the victory garden plan was that it was a survival type plan not a one fresh eating. I grow a balance for fresh eating and storage.
          I don't know how you intended that post but it came across quite rude (starting with your assumption is wrong the reason I....) I am sorry if it was actually my post that set the tone. Unfortunately, after all your posts I am still unsure what you are trying to get out of this thread. However you decide to do your plan, I wish you the best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
            It was for eating veg that were harvested in their season, the only things that could be stored were the potatoes, onions, winter carrots and turnips perhaps.
            Peas, beans, salad stuff and cabbage, Brussels, kale, broccoli, spinach, parsnips and swede etc were all eaten freshly picked from the plot - the same as they are now, so I'm struggling to understand what you mean.
            Actually many of vegetable you listed such as beans,peas,Brussels,cabbage,kale, spinach,
            that used for fresh eating can be canned/jarred, pickled,salting or dried for storage use. the methods for doing this have been known long before ww2.

Comment

Norfolkgrey
              I get the impression you are after year round fresh veg. If that is the case you are then looking at hydroponics, grow lights, sprouting seed, micro veg on windowsills so can incur higher cost
              the original statement i was refuting is above my response below
              Refuting false assumptions or misunderstood statements is not rude ,is it proper conversational Etiquette in this context. this forum conversation not monologue.

Comment

RR, just curious, where are you based?

My reason for asking is that canning was introduced into the domestic kitchen during the war in the UK not before, would it be fair to say you are from the USA?,
                Last edited by Greenleaves; 01-08-2016, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Just my opinion!

And abrupt it maybe!

Think RR is not gunna get a resolution to his or her original post, because I for one don't understand it either!

Suggestions and advise have been made, this thread is just gunna go "Around the houses"

And to be perfectly honest, I find his or her posts rather rude towards fellow good standing members on this forum!

Nuff Said!
                  "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Actually many of vegetable you listed such as beans,peas,Brussels,cabbage,kale, spinach,
                    that used for fresh eating can be canned/jarred, pickled,salting or dried for storage use. the methods for doing this have been known long before ww2.
                    Yes, if there was a glut, they could be stored, I agree - but the main point of growing them was always for fresh veg. Farmland was given over to other crops so veg was in short supply.
                    Meals based on what was available on the ration book would have been a very poor diet without all those fresh homegrown veggies

Comment

It seems to me that the original post in this thread (which has been edited by OP after some replies have been made) is unclear as to what actually is being asked, because of this it seems that the member replies are not what OP requiring. So I shall close this thread & ask OP to start a new one with a clearly defined question, it would also help us enormously if it could be phrased in UK English rather than USA English, if you declared your location in your profile it would appear in your posts, we have other members from Baltimore who may join in the conversation.
                      Last edited by bearded bloke; 01-08-2016, 07:01 PM. Reason: fat finger typo
                      He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X