No announcement yet.

Biblical moth infestations expected

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't tell the brexit camp they'll have a field day...Europe migrants coming over here and stealing our crops...putting good old English butterflies and moths out of their brassica munching jobs.
    Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
    Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
    Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
    Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

There's a store that has had to block off part of their car park as a moth colony has taken hold. No idea what type of moth mind, but the size of the colony is quite amazing, it stretches quite a way.

Attached Files

Comment

The Telegraph has a piece on this "invasion". It quotes an expert: "This is an occasional minor pest in this country on brassicas and it is possible given the numbers this year it may prove to be a bit of a nuisance, but we won't know for a few weeks until any caterpillars have hatched," he said.

I'm scared. Not.
        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Originally posted by gardening_gal View Post
          There's a store that has had to block off part of their car park as a moth colony has taken hold. No idea what type of moth mind, but the size of the colony is quite amazing, it stretches quite a way.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]65447[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]65448[/ATTACH]
          Yuck, yuck, yuckity, yuck.

Comment

I guess I'll just add these to the ever growing list of things trying to get between me and dinner.
            If they stick to cabbages and caulis they'll probably starve on my plot anyway.
            Slugs and cabbage whites are already waiting in line.....
            http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

They're not the millions of little white things flying about *It's during the day so can't be moths?

Comment

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
                They're not the millions of little white things flying about *It's during the day so can't be moths?
                The little white things are whitefly, which are not moths.
                But quite a few kinds of moth do fly during the daytime, although not many of them go after our cabbages.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin H View Post
                  The little white things are whitefly, which are not moths.
                  But quite a few kinds of moth do fly during the daytime, although not many of them go after our cabbages.

They are the biggest whitefly ever then! I will have to catch a few!

Comment

I thought I'l just have a look at my Brussels sprouts leaves & on a few of the leaves it looks like sun scorch,translucent holes,turned the leaves over & about 20 extremely tiny caterpillars with dark heads per leaf,I removed one leaf to get a good look but squashed them all,I took these photos showing the damage on top & underneath,it looks like its them from the damage. I was reading an article last night they found less of a diamondback moth problem when inter-cropping brassica with the English marigold.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Did the dark-headed caterpillars have greenish-yellow bodies? If so they could have been baby cabbage white caterpillars, like these:

Comment

https://twitter.com/savebutterflies/...21776381333505

Comment

They seemed smaller than cabbage white caterpillars & more of them,they were like those tiny tomato moth caterpillars,I haven't seen a cabbage white butterfly at all this year,it's a bit odd? Seen lots of moths about & near my tomatoes so I'l have to check them too if I notice holes.

Comment

Where abouts have they been spotted?
                            If you want to view paradise
                            Simply look around and view it.

Comment

I hope all those spiders building webs all over my greens have an appetite for these...

Comment

I thought there's probably one still out there,they're difficult to find & there it was,I took a few photos. They're tiny but eat a lot!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X