No announcement yet.

Sowing for Autumn/winter crops

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plus spaghetti squash & turks turban. Is it wrong to ask hubby to move the extremely heavy railway pallets we've just put down as decking? I might need the space!

Think I've remembered everything after 3 posts on this thread
    Another happy Nutter...

Comment

Originally posted by happyhumph View Post
      Hi Muddled

Forgot I'm also doing aztec broccoli /huazontle. How big are yours at the moment? Never grown it before - we'll have to keep each other updated on how it's going!
      about 3 inches tall at the minute...started very slowly but seem to have sped up this week!
      http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

:Mine are also about 3 - 4" - good to know I'm on track
        Another happy Nutter...

Comment

I've got turnip , little gem squash, giant radish, and kale on the go .only problem I've encountered is were I'm gunna put them.
          When you have a hammer in your hand everything around you starts looking like a nail.

Comment

Hmmm, my autumn/ winter brassicas went into the ground yesterday. Having been late with all my summer stuff I'm now worried that I'm too early with the Autumn/ winter planting. Yikes!!

Comment

Originally posted by muddled View Post
              What I really need is things to eat next spring!
              The 'hungry gap' is getting longer every year!
              You could try brokali (tenderstem broccoli) which produces florets on and off between December and March according to the packet. Mine started in December and is still going (just). Its a cross between broccoli and kale.
              Late sowings of hardy carrots (July sown Eskimo, Nantes Frubund etc) will keep over winter with a little protection (eg fleece) as long as the soil isn't too wet or sluggy (I use pots which solves the drainage issue).
              Leeks, PSB, winter cabbage, spring cabbage, chard, kale, mizuna, parsnips.
              Indoor salads, pea shoots, microgreens.
              March sown spinach should be ready by the end of April with a little protection. I use a saladgrow planter and don't thin it, and get more than I can eat.
              Spring sown turnips and salads.
              Early peas, baby new potatoes...

"Hungry gap"?
              Last edited by Penellype; 13-06-2016, 12:24 PM.
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I haven't done very well with sowing this year .... and slugs and weather have done their damage to whatever has successfully sprouted .... luckily, I discovered that my local Wyevale sells off packs of plug plants very cheap every Tuesday when they get their new deliveries ....

I will go through my seeds and try sowing more .... still haven't sown french beans .... guess that's a job for tomorrow .... might get lucky!
                http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X