No announcement yet.

How's your garlic doing?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a bit of white rot in a couple of my beds last year. So this year I'm going to use up my excess garlic from last year to do a garlic drench, as suggested on this page.

I'll be doing it this month. I'll let you know if it works in a couple of years when rotation brings the onions back there again!

There's been a few threads on here about it, such as this one. I haven't heard any reports back on success / failure though... http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...rot_74941.html
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I usually get a little bit of something that looks a lot like allium white rot. However, it isn't the crop destroyer of its reputation. Typically I get it on 5-10% of bulbs, and most of those are usable if peeled, preserved and used quickly. This year I've hoicked out a single onion and a single garlic (you can tell as the stems start to look weak).

For the garlic, it's all looking a bit pale, yellow and dry, but then it's hardly rained here for weeks. I'm hoping the bulbs will be OK in four or five weeks when they come out.
      Garden Grower
      Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

All looks good and strong on top of the ground..Not going to look under ground until after I am back from my hols which is early July..
        I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
        sigpic

Comment

My leaves are still green,haven't lifted them yet. One of my elephant garlic had a flower inside the stem,closed inside,so i dug it up to have a look & it looks like this,don't know if it good or not but it looks alright maybe?
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post
            Typically I get it on 5-10% of bulbs, and most of those are usable if peeled, preserved and used quickly. This year I've hoicked out a single onion and a single garlic (you can tell as the stems start to look weak).
            That's what happened to me the first few years. Stopped growing onions but continued with leeks and garlic. Last year I didn't manage to save one bulb of garlic out of over 100 cloves planted

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
              My leaves are still green,haven't lifted them yet. One of my elephant garlic had a flower inside the stem,closed inside,so i dug it up to have a look & it looks like this
              Elephant garlic will always send up a flower spike. I took all of mine off about 2 weeks ago, they should carry on growing. Some peeps thinks leaving them on will reduce the bulb size. Looking like you will get some good sized bulbs though

Comment

Yours look good to me JJ! I thought too, that cutting off the flower spike was supposed to encourage larger bulb size ....

Mine look fine from on top - going to be patient and leave them, like Trip until sometime July ...
                Attached Files
                ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Thankyou i thought that meant they're finished,il leave the others to grow.

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                    That's what happened to me the first few years. Stopped growing onions but continued with leeks and garlic. Last year I didn't manage to save one bulb of garlic out of over 100 cloves planted
                    It was really horribly wet last (at least it was up here), and that definitely makes things worse.
                    Garden Grower
                    Twitter: @JacobMHowe

Comment

Originally posted by Jungle Jane View Post
                      My leaves are still green,haven't lifted them yet. One of my elephant garlic had a flower inside the stem,closed inside,so i dug it up to have a look & it looks like this,don't know if it good or not but it looks alright maybe?
                      Looks good
                      I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                      sigpic

Comment

I've been waiting for scapes to appear for the last couple of weeks but nothing yet. One of them is trying to push itself out of the soil to the surface, much like an onion might. It's not very big. They're in a terrible bed - newly made for them and rock hard when it dries out a bit - so I'm not expecting that much. Still, the taste of new garlic is fantastic. Even if they're small, I'll still enjoy them.

JJ, yours looks fantastic.

Comment

None of my garlic did anything.
                          I planted it a bit late i think, only in the middle of April. No sign of it by last weekend so dug it out and put broccoli in it's place.
                          Good job too, all the cloves had gone rotten and mouldy, some even had maggots in!
                          Shoot for the stars, reach the tree tops

Comment

I've got many this year, a few ran to seed but others are looking good. I am tempted to pull a few soon as the leaves are dying back

Comment

Mines are just started shooting up scapes,
                              I planted mine a bit later (early December).

Comment

Originally posted by Root66 View Post
                                I've got many this year, a few ran to seed but others are looking good. I am tempted to pull a few soon as the leaves are dying back
                                Ooh, ooh - think I'd hang on just a bit longer Root - give 'em time to swell a bit more for a few weeks. I'm leaving mine until mid- late July ...
                                ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                                a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                                - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X