No announcement yet.

How much it too much?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't do what I did and plant every plant you've grown. I found I stained a lot of t-shirts pushing through the tomato forest to reach the fruit at the back!!

I have a 10' x 10' polytunnel with a path running down the middle. So this year I have the following:

Left side: 8 tomatoes, all cordon bar 1. 3 San Marzano, 1 Apero cherry, 1 Giulletta (plum), 1 Elegance, 1 Belriccio, 1 Principe Borghese (bush). That's plenty for one side of the tunnel. I dot a few French Marigold plants around to allegedly help with whitefly. There will be some basil in there at some point as well.

Right side: 2 cukes, 3 melons, 8 peppers, 1 aubergine, 12 chillies of assorted varieties. There's also 3 sweetcorn plants in there, which will be ready early June and therefore out of the way to give extra space for other things to expand into.

Hope that gives you an idea.
    Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Originally posted by SusieG View Post
      I think I might try putting just one chilli plant outside (!) when it gets a bit warmer (??) as an experiment ..... It could be worth the sacrifice ...
      Sparrow - do you mean you need to get more pollinators into your GH? So, do you think it's worth having
      some flowers growing (mine will be in pots) inside GH?
      I've got 4 marigolds in there - 2 at the door and 2 at the back for enticement purposes. And until all the plants get bigger there are a lot of pots on the floor too - most will go outside later, but I want them to have a more cosy start in there. If the flowers become too much of a problem they are coming out.
      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I've gone for 7 tomato plants in buckets down each side, mix of San Marzano and Jersey Devil.
        2 small grow bags each side in front of the tomatoes, each with 3 peppers in.
        At the back I've some shallow shelving/staging which has another 3 grow bags with peppers in, and 2 cucumbers in buckets.
        Also a bunch of big pots of herbs in there till I find them another home.
        Shoot for the stars, reach the tree tops

Comment

In a 6 x 8, I have 5 cordon toms on the left side, 2 taller varieties at the end and then 2 bush ones on the righthand side, all planted in the soil.
          Cuke planted in each far corner, to grow up wire mesh and then along the ridge wire.
          By the door on the left hand I have a bench with a growbag on, with 3 peppers in and 3 peppers planted in the soil below it.

There are a few tagetes planted on the left and there'll be basil in there as well soon. ATM there's still plenty of small squashes waiting to go outside, when it finally warms up
          Last edited by Thelma Sanders; 30-05-2016, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X