Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've been given some Comfrey plants - need advice please?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scoot View Post
    I meant seed seller not food seller.
    Seed is no good as Bocking 14 is sterile. I'd ask around your local allotments. Someone will give you a piece of root.

Comment

Hmm, well GG, if you were given 6 plants, strikes me that someone had quite a few self seeded plants to give away, so possibly the one you have is the seedy one. BUT, it only seeds if you leave the flower heads on. Dead head regularly like any garden flower, and it's not going to bury your house in comfrey
      I would advise only planting one though, if your garden is small. A good place to "move on" the rest of the plants to would be a grass verge that is regularly mown by the council. That would keep the flower heads cut off, but you could still pick the leaves every time you passed.
      Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
      Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
        Hmm, well GG, if you were given 6 plants, strikes me that someone had quite a few self seeded plants to give away, so possibly the one you have is the seedy one. BUT, it only seeds if you leave the flower heads on. Dead head regularly like any garden flower, and it's not going to bury your house in comfrey
        I would advise only planting one though, if your garden is small. A good place to "move on" the rest of the plants to would be a grass verge that is regularly mown by the council. That would keep the flower heads cut off, but you could still pick the leaves every time you passed.
        Actually that's a good point and one I hadn't thought of, the plants came from someone who lived very rurally and who (as far as I am aware) had a local farmer's field to grow in so the likelihood is that they very possibly were self seeding.

There are lots of 'wild' areas around me, forest type places where deer and other wildlife are regularly seen, they come down off the hills quite often. I walk the dog around these parts so maybe I could plant some out here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X