No announcement yet.

Cumber troubles.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one you have potted up. Water from the bottom and keep the compost fairly moist for the first couple of day, the plant has been used to getting all it needs from a liquid, so needs time to acclimatise.
    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Question potty, in the 1st photo you had some sort of blue clip what is it and how does it help?

Comment

I got some spent coffee grounds yesterday and thought I would do a bit of research on the topic when I came across this from Linda Chalker-Scott, Ph.D. I'm going to try sprinkling some of them on the surface of the compost to see if it helps at all. I know people apparently do this with cinnamon.

"Disease suppression

As they decompose, coffee grounds appear to suppress some common fungal rots and wilts, including Fusarium, Pythium, and Sclerotinia species. In these studies, coffee grounds were part of a compost mix, in one case comprising as little as 0.5 percent of the material. Researchers suggest that the bacterial and fungal species normally found on decomposing coffee grounds, such as non-pathogenic Pseudomonas,Fusarium, and Trichodermaspp. and pin molds (Mucorales), prevent pathogenic fungi from establishing. A similar biocontrol effect was noted on bacterial pathogens including E. coli and
        Staphylococcus spp., which were reduced on ripening cheeses covered with coffee grounds.

Currently, disease suppression from coffee grounds has only been demonstrated under controlled conditions on a handful of vegetable crops, including bean, cucumber, spinach, and tomato. Their efficacy in gardens and landscapes is unknown, as is any protective activity on other plant materials such as trees or shrubs."

https://puyallup.wsu.edu/wp-content/...ee-grounds.pdf
        Last edited by HoneyChild; 25-06-2016, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Hi Cilla, its actually green and is just to support the main stem, I find them easier to use than string whilst I am potting on.

Anyway one last pic, the plant is doing well and just about to start on its journey along a horizontal rope. This ended up as an extra so is sat on my potting bench.
          Attached Files
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X