Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No, they are not big enough yet.

Comment

If they really are shrinking, the only thing I can think of is that the leaves are losing water, which is why they look wrinkly, smaller and crispy at the ends. Sorry Marb. It's the only thing that comes to mind.

Comment

Tried to grow white Lisbon once. Was a disaster they just didn’t get any thicker. I really struggle with things like garlics, chives or spring onions. Was the same with leeks until I gave up growing from seed and bought as plants. That seems to work for me.

Comment

Well, here's a thought.
          You know spring onions can grow again in a glass of water? (if you leave the roots and 3cm or so of the stem/leaves.) much the same as celery and carrot tops (bit different with them though)
          Well.
          How about being brave and cut off the top of the leaves leaving say10cm with the roots still in the tub.
          Use the stems as you would in cooking and leave the rest to grow on in situ.
          If nothing comes of the spring onions, at least you will have cropped something off them
          In my mind that would be better than slowly watching them fail.
          You never know, maybe having less leaf might give them a chance to bulb up?
          We do that when transplanting leeks, they are the same family, so, why not give that a go?

Do I come a close second to Veggie chicken for a 'nutty' idea?
          I actually would have a go at that...maybe trial half for a comparison?
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Here's my spring onions. Even skinnier than yours. You know what I'm doing about it. Eating them!
            Yes I have to use a few more than if they were perfect shop brought ones. Guess what they even taste like spring onions. If I waited for everything I grow to resemble something I could buy in a shop I'd be very disappointed most of the time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	2384463

Comment

Pleased seen this thread, as thought it was just me. Planted my white lisbon & slim jim on 31/3/19 in a gutter, planted out when were about 3cm high. The bases are only about 1cm wide now but are lovely to eat. Can only conclude that they are very slow to grow especially when temperatures are lower. And/or do not like competition as have grown quicker when I toke some out to eat. Will try some of VC recommended Ishikura next year
              Last edited by It never rains..it pours; 04-07-2019, 04:06 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Have just ordered some Ishikura seed and will try them alongside the white lisbon & slim jim in a new planting next week

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
                  Well, here's a thought.
                  You know spring onions can grow again in a glass of water? (if you leave the roots and 3cm or so of the stem/leaves.) much the same as celery and carrot tops (bit different with them though)
                  Well.
                  How about being brave and cut off the top of the leaves leaving say10cm with the roots still in the tub.
                  Use the stems as you would in cooking and leave the rest to grow on in situ.
                  If nothing comes of the spring onions, at least you will have cropped something off them
                  In my mind that would be better than slowly watching them fail.
                  You never know, maybe having less leaf might give them a chance to bulb up?
                  We do that when transplanting leeks, they are the same family, so, why not give that a go?

Do I come a close second to Veggie chicken for a 'nutty' idea?
                  I actually would have a go at that...maybe trial half for a comparison?
                  The easiest way to do this is to buy a bunch of spring onions with roots, use the tops and replant the roots and a bit of stalk. Saves all the hassle of sowing seeds.

Here's an experiment I prepared earlier - https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ing_95575.html
                  Most of the onions ended up edging a bed and here are a few at the moment

Name:	100_0702.JPG
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	2384467

I cut some off when I want some, leave the roots to grow on and those that bolt are left to self seed to bulk up the edges. Admittedly, they look nothing like shop bought onions.

Edible Edges thread https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...dea_98043.html

If you want to try celery, I've done that too. https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...eriment-2.html

Comment

I get the best results of "spring onions" from normal onion seeds. White lisbon and any other spring onion or pickling onions gives results nothing resembling what you get in the shop, or what's on the front of the seed packet. It might be something I do wrong, or my soilt not being right, I don't know, but I don't take it to heart - I just use normal onion seed instead
                    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well cut the tops off and no better. Still going thin and whispy for no logical reason. Newly sown ones also dying off

Name:	WP_20190721_13_07_16_Pro.jpg
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	2384660

Name:	WP_20190721_13_07_06_Pro.jpg
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	2384661
                      Last edited by Marb67; 21-07-2019, 12:21 PM.

Comment

Marb, that soil looks a bit wet to me for onions. If you lift one, what do the roots look like?

Comment

Only wet as just been watered. It isn't water that is causing this.

Comment

To be honest, Marb, I don't see much wrong with the ones in the top photo. I'd be pulling and eating them as they are.

Comment

They just never seem to get any bigger than this.

Comment

Never mind - small is beautiful.
                                https://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gr...ful_99854.html

Sow more frequently and eat them small!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X