No announcement yet.

Another brassica failure

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well folks, looks like they are all going the same way. Really discouraging because it happens most times now. I am at a loss what to do. I do wonder if sowing more will be a waste of time now and I have no more seed sowing compost left, except aldi organic compost.

Attached Files

Comment

I think you're potting them on too early and into pots that are too large for the seedlings.
      Just my thoughts - I'm definitely not an expert with brassicas.

Comment

Marb!
        Don't be to disheartened yet!
        For what it's worth, I have not sewn a single Brassica this year as yet, but shall be doing most of mine this comming week, so you have defiantly not missed the window!
        "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Ok, great news. Appreciate all your suggestions and will take on board and have another go.

Cheers.

Comment

I sow my cabbages etc 2 or 3 to a pot and pot them on when they have 2 true leaves. I find they are fussy things and tend to do what yours have done when they are too hot , too wet or have too much bright light.

If yours are indoors at the moment, try putting them outside in the shade on hot days like today.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

I only sowed my brassicas last weekend, about 10ish seeds to a 3" plastic pot in the cold greenhouse. Standard multi purpose compost and watered with a hosepipe if getting dry. If I sow indoors they don't do well. They'll be pricked out when they have some proper leaves, again into 3" pots but individually that time. Loads of time for everything except sprouts.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I sow mine into newspaper pots then plant out the whole thing seems to work for me.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
                  Well folks, looks like they are all going the same way. Really discouraging because it happens most times now. I am at a loss what to do. I do wonder if sowing more will be a waste of time now and I have no more seed sowing compost left, except aldi organic compost.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63857[/ATTACH]
                  I am possibly misjudging the pics Marb, but those pots look very big to me for the size of the seedlings..Therefore if you are watering from the bottom, the compost will soak up water and remain quite wet..Personally I would try leave them a while longer before potting on, and use smaller pots..
                  I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
                    I think you're potting them on too early and into pots that are too large for the seedlings.
                    Just my thoughts - I'm definitely not an expert with brassicas.
                    Sorry..had posted my reply before reading VC's reply. ..So snap
                    I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                    sigpic

Comment

Well here they are again, another sowing that came up perfectly healthy and now keeling over. Too late now to sow any more. Gutted

Attached Files

Comment

Were they sown in the pots Marb or transplanted? If transplanted, I think you are moving them too soon, best wait till they have at least 1 set of "true" leaves.
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Transplanted as I wanted them to get growing because the seedlings would be slower to develop. The pots are small though.
                          Last edited by Marb67; 02-06-2016, 06:00 PM.

Comment

You really should have waited till they had 1 or 2 sets of true leaves. It's too much of a shock for such small seedlings.
                            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Ok, I didn't think it would be a problem as I was very careful. Is it too late to sow any more straight into these pots ?

Comment

You've nothing to lose by trying, just don't be tempted to move them too early, you could leave them in those pots till they get 3 or 4 sets of leaves. After all there is nothing you can do with them till they reach maturity so try and be patient with them. When did you transplant them? they may pick up, the left hand one at the back looks ok.
                                Last edited by Bigmallly; 02-06-2016, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X