No announcement yet.

where to buy garlic for autumn planting

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

moggssue i agree with what PW said , garlic is intelligent and will learn what soil you grow it in and adapt to suit it over a few years, so planting your harvest to make new bulbs means less problems as each clove you plant would have had a year in your soil already.
    ---) CARL (----
    ILFRACOMBE
    NORTH DEVON

a seed planted today makes a meal tomorrow!

www.freewebs.com/carlseawolf

http://mountain-goat.webs.com/

now in blog form ! UPDATED 15/4/09

Comment

Some really useful replies!

Got another question, hardneck or softneck variety?

And another ..... beintg up in Northumberland means I have a milder climate here (currently raining very heavily and hailstones too!) so I assume that those varieties from the south of France, Spain etc are no good really for me. What about those varieties from northern France or Isle of Wight? Looking at the really garlicky website I am wondering if that is my best bet for my location??

Comment

Another place you can order garlic for planting in autumn is Mr. Fothergill's. They have 2 bulbs of 'Purple Wight' for £2.95 & post & packing is free if you just order garlic & /or onions.
        http://fothergills.co.uk/en/plant-bulb-onions.aspx
        Into every life a little rain must fall.

Comment

Just ahd a look at the Mr Fothergills site, they also have a decent range of over-wintering onions (including some red ones that I might give a try...) and a few varieties of second-cropping potatoes. Unfortunately it's my daughter's birthday nrxt week, so cash a bit tight (don't think she'd appreciate a bag of onion sets for a pressie) so hope they don't sell out too soon...

Comment

Thanks PW and Carlseawolf, it makes sense now! I think my garlic is too small this year to save and replant, it hasnt really split at all. I'll get some from a catalogue or GC this autumn and hope for some decent bulbs to save next year (dont have access to france and tho I do to the Valencia region of Spain think that might be a bit warm to adapt to bucks?!).
            Life may not be the party we hoped for but since we're here we might as well dance

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X