Sweet Aperitif Tomato.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    There was something similar last year with a tomato - can't remember which one - some sellers said it was F1 and others didn't.
    I remember the discussion but I can't remember what tomato it was either....

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
      There was something similar last year with a tomato - can't remember which one - some sellers said it was F1 and others didn't.
      We had that sort of discussion about Piccolo: http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ion_86151.html

I'm growing from saved seed from Sainsbury's this year so I'm interested to see how they turn out.
      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

The discussion I had with T&M was about Rosella.

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
          Very quick response from T&M:

We will amend it right away. The plant listing we have on our site was correct but the seed one was not :/
          The seeds are still showing as F1, by the way *wry smile*

Comment

Maybe Thompson & Morgan are looking in and can comment

Comment

Thank you veggiechicken,

We are indeed here I'm going to need to get this clarified with Colin (our Vegetable Product Manager). He'll be in the office tomorrow.

I'll also leave a note for the weekday team to reply here when we hear back from Colin.

Cheers!

Richard

Comment

Thanks Richard I hoped you'd look in!
                It would be good to have clarification about whether or not they're F1. Hope Colin can sort it out for us.

Comment

Hi Veggiechicken

We have just heard from our Colin, Vegetable Product Manager & Quality Controller, and he has confirmed that the Sweet Aperitif is not a true f1 hybrid but has many of the characteristics which can group it under this heading. However, we have re-evaluated this and have decided to remove the f1 labelling from the website.

I hope this helps

Natalie

Comment

Thank you Natalie.

Comment

Originally posted by ThompsonMorgan View Post
                      Hi Veggiechicken

We have just heard from our Colin, Vegetable Product Manager & Quality Controller, and he has confirmed that the Sweet Aperitif is not a true f1 hybrid but has many of the characteristics which can group it under this heading. However, we have re-evaluated this and have decided to remove the f1 labelling from the website.

I hope this helps

Natalie
                      Thanks for confirming, but what an odd way to describe a non F1 variety. Surely a variety is either denoted by it's F year or is a stable open pollinated variety. I'm really not sure what the term "not a true f1 hybrid" means? Mistakes happen, but I find it rather worrying and misleading to think seed companies are knowingly labelling non F1 varieties as such when they know they are not!
                      Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Originally posted by poly View Post
                        I find it rather worrying and misleading to think seed companies are knowingly labelling non F1 varieties as such when they know they are not!
                        Better for seed sales though...

Comment

Hi Veggiechicken

Thank you for your reply.

As the quality and uniformity of Sweet Aperitif was equal to many of the F1 hybrids in the trials Colin presumed it was. It was only after introducing the variety to our seed and plants range that it came to light in conversation with the breeder that it was not an F1. We have now completely removed the F1 labelling which was included in error. Please accept our apologies for this error.

As with the majority of vegetable subjects, tomatoes have to adhere to legal registrations and require National Listing for the EU Common Catalogue which embraces all the European countries within the organisation. Details are included in the paperwork whether a variety is an F1 or open pollinated.

I hope that this helps you further but please contact me again if you require any further clarification.

Kind regards,
                          Anne

Comment

All credit to T&M for posting here, and for admitting the error.
                            It's a bit harder to understand how that error came about in the first place

Sweet Aperitif was developed by Gourmet Genetics:
                            Tomato "Sweet Aperitif" from Gourmet Genetics

The same company also developed the Rosella variety mentioned by MarkPelican:
                            Gourmet Genetics - cherry tomato 'Rosella'

Comment

My post #4 on this thread shows a link which showed it was not F1 and said this about the breeders..................
                              Gourmet Genetics is a partnership between plant breeders Simon Crawford and Mark Rowland. The name was chosen to reflect the commitment to innovative breeding for outstanding flavor and quality. Breeding objectives are focused on the amateur market, where there is a real need for modern, high-quality open-pollinated varieties. Simon, currently a full time employee of W. Atlee Burpee & Company, brings to this partnership his unrivalled knowledge of the global seed business, coupled with a history of successful tomato breeding including the development of AAS Winners 'Lizzano' and 'Terenzo'. Mark supplies the facilities, an acre of modern computer controlled glass, and a selection of tomato breeding lines which complement Simon's existing material.

Comment

Originally posted by ThompsonMorgan View Post

As the quality and uniformity of Sweet Aperitif was equal to many of the F1 hybrids in the trials Colin presumed it was.
                                They are an outstanding variety, with stunning taste and well performing plants, one of my favourites the last few years. It's so good to have excellent breeders interested in developing open pollinated varieties, all the cherry tomatoes I've tried from GG have been very good indeed.
                                Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X