No announcement yet.

Square foot gardening - which compost?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im just planning on sticking a mix of Jacks Magic and the compost mix they sell in the allotment shed. No idea what it is, but at 3 x 80lts for a tenner its pretty cheap. Im not bothering will the Mels Mix, the ready bagged compost is fine with me - im pretty sure what he is telling you to mix up is pretty much what bagged stuff is anyway.

Comment

I used mels mix years ago

It was absolutely amazing but very expensive and the vermiculite only lasts 2 or 3 years before it degrades away.

Comment

Here's a thread about cheap http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ion_77264.html

Comment

Building a square metre bed

Quick question, I am midway through building the bed, lengths of 6 x 2 and some ply as a base (it will be sat on concrete).

Is it recommended to line the box with plastic sheeting?

Comment

I wouldn't bother with a timber base as it will just rot. How deep is the bed if sat on concrete?
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
            --------------------------------------------------------------------
            Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
            -------------------------------------------------------------------
            Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
            -----------------------------------------------------------
            KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
              I wouldn't bother with a timber base as it will just rot. How deep is the bed if sat on concrete?
              Its 6x2, so 6" off the floor. The garden is being worked on, so will need to move the bed a little through the summer, hence the need for base.

Comment

If you are going to have to move your bed - which I imagine is going to be very heavy have you considered growing in just pots until your garden project is close enough to finishing for you to place your bed in it's permanant position?
                I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

Originally posted by Lumpy View Post
                  If you are going to have to move your bed - which I imagine is going to be very heavy have you considered growing in just pots until your garden project is close enough to finishing for you to place your bed in it's permanant position?
                  I had, but I don’t have any pots but I do have 6x2 and ply... hence the reason to build the raised bed. It won't need to be moved far, and only on the fly, so shouldn’t be too difficult (I can call upon some strong friends and straps if need be!)

Comment

You can line the wood with plastic to protect it but if you're going to create a lined base, you'd need to make sure there are sufficient holes and adequate drainage.

You could add an inch of gravel but that would make it really heavy so probably not a good idea. Polystyrene chips maybe? Either way you'd probably end up with roots hitting the lining and sitting in pools of water.

I think you might be better trying to find some containers until you are ready for the raised bed in it's final position but otherwise, just line the sides and if the base rots after it is in its final position then that's not a huge problem.

What are you planning to grow in the bed? 6" isn't a lot for some veg.
                    Last edited by spamvindaloo; 02-04-2016, 05:28 PM. Reason: What veg?
                    Posted on an iPad so apologies for any randomly auto-corrected gobbledegook

Comment

Originally posted by spamvindaloo View Post
                      You can line the wood with plastic to protect it but if you're going to create a lined base, you'd need to make sure there are sufficient holes and adequate drainage.

You could add an inch of gravel but that would make it really heavy so probably not a good idea. Polystyrene chips maybe? Either way you'd probably end up with roots hitting the lining and sitting in pools of water.

I think you might be better trying to find some containers until you are ready for the raised bed in it's final position but otherwise, just line the sides and if the base rots after it is in its final position then that's not a huge problem.

I hadn't started to decide that yet. Things I like (not sure how suitable they are, will have to take a look at the square meters book):-
                      mangetout peas
                      lettuce / salad leaves
                      broad beans
                      spring onions
                      herbs
                      garlic
                      strawberries
                      Raspberry

Comment

Originally posted by spamvindaloo View Post
                        Haven't you heard Spam?.............Monty Don says 6" is enough............
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
                        --------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
                        -------------------------------------------------------------------
                        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
                        -----------------------------------------------------------
                        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X