No announcement yet.

Back To Eden Method!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't watched all that that video, I tried playing with the sound off and then saw her prancing around without shoes and I had to shut it off pronto......but I used fresh wood chips as a mulch, loads of papers and top with a thick layer. I'm on clay. I don't use a hose pipe. I mostly use them around my currant bushes, raspberries & gooseberries after ive topped up my paths. They rot down fast, I top up every year. The rest of my beds get topped with newspapers and grass clipping. Stops the weeds, and helps stop everything drying out.

Comment

I think the main purpose of the wood element of the mulch is to act as a weed suppressant & moisture retainer. It's the organic matter that is added to the woodchips that are beneficial to the plants.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I have heard of this and was following a guy in this country trying this

https://www.youtube.com/user/theallotmentshed

but doesn't seem to be posting much these days
        Posted on an iPad so apologies for any randomly auto-corrected gobbledegook

Comment

Good luck BM, please keep us appraised of the differences, both successes and otherwise.

As they say, 'nothing ventured' etc

Comment

The monthly Calendar should tell the story GL, good or bad.
            sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

Looks like the No Dig method. I do this but use straw instead of wood chip. Works a treat and NO WEEDS.
              Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Originally posted by spamvindaloo View Post
                I have heard of this and was following a guy in this country trying this

https://www.youtube.com/user/theallotmentshed

but doesn't seem to be posting much these days
                Thanks for the vid Spam, I've not seen it before & look forward to watching them all.

Comment

Well I've just watched all of Chris's Videos & really recommend them. Looking forward to the growing season now.

Comment

Aah! thats better!
                    Thank you spamvindaloo for a vid where the man talks normally!

And thank you too BM, I am joining you on the Eden trail.
                    I have chooks to poop on it.....and after this weeks storms I bet I can find a tree surgeon to donate some chippings!
                    http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by muddled View Post
                      Aah! thats better!
                      Thank you spamvindaloo for a vid where the man talks normally!
                      Chris may appear normal but he's a member of our very own Nutters Club as "Cue the Toms". He hasn't been on the Vine for a couple of years though. One less Grape to make fun of me

Comment

Fresh wood chips use a lot of nitrogen to break down so potentially starve the crop. Successive layers over years are less of a problem because the previous years chips provide nutrients. Applying grass cuttings and urine or cut nettles speeds the process. Best used on rough ground you want next season and cam leave fallow. Or pile up the chips to start breakdown and mulch with them next year.

Comment

As I understand, and am happy to be corrected, wood chips use nitrogen if they are dug into the soil. If they are left as a surface mulch its not an issue.

Comment

That's why they had such success with the chips that came out of the chicken pens - manure and wood mulch in one application

Comment

According to the video, nitrogen is only depleted on the soil surface where it has contact with the chips (why you don't dig them in) and not lower down where the feeder roots are.

I think that any deep mulch has massive benefits....the thing that appeals about the chips is that;
                              they don't sprout (I accidently grew a whole plot of barley in 2012 )
                              they're free,
                              and I use them anyway (along with aubiose) in the chicken run .
                              http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
                                Fresh wood chips use a lot of nitrogen to break down so potentially starve the crop.
                                I think you need to watch the vids Kevin & listen to what he actually says.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X