Composting?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
    As has already been said it isn't an issue if it is not hot. However are you just touching the top or the sides as that is not a good indicator. If you are fussed or interested get a probe thermometer. I currently have a pile of horsey poo that doesn't feel warm to the touch, however I probed it this morning and it was 71°C yes that is °C I am not plunging my hand in to check So that also leads to the fact if you would like heat then add some fresh horsey poo
    I've got my hand a little way in and can't feel any heat. My hand is not in the middle mind.

If heat isn't that important then I'm quite happy. I just thought I was doing something wrong.

Comment

A pile needs to be a minimum of 3ft thick/tall/round for the full effect of heating to get going. Also the mix of brown to green needs to be approximatly right. You will only feel the heat deep in the pile which is one reason that turning it helps speed up the process (as well as adding air to the activity). You can add more green of brown at any stage during a turn to rebalance or reactivate the heating/composting.
      Be careful now, this stuff can get addictive ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by ESBkevin View Post
        A pile needs to be a minimum of 3ft thick/tall/round for the full effect of heating to get going. Also the mix of brown to green needs to be approximatly right. You will only feel the heat deep in the pile which is one reason that turning it helps speed up the process (as well as adding air to the activity). You can add more green of brown at any stage during a turn to rebalance or reactivate the heating/composting.
        Be careful now, this stuff can get addictive ;-)
        I'm going to have to stick my hand very deep into the pile i think to be able to feel anything. If there is any heat to feel of course haha!

Comment

It's a bit early in the year for the heap to heat up. Mine don't get very hot until the outside temperatures start to rise and then they can get to about 70C. Cover it with a sheet of plastic and something else to keep the heat in and add some water. I find that helps to speed things up a bit.
          Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I've never worried about how hot (or not) my heap gets. So long as stuff is rotting down I don't care and if it's not that hot it just takes a bit longer.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X