No announcement yet.

Permanent garlic bed

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have always planted them in a different spot each year, occasionally I miss pulling up a few of last year's and they re-grow happily away. This year the wet got to some of the new sowings and they went squishy so got pulled up, the ones from last year that got missed have been moved to fill the gaps. I haven't had any diseased ones so far but don't think a permanent bed whould be a good idea unless you keep thinning, VC.
    When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
    If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

I think if you have good free draininh soil in your garlic bed, you should be fine.
      Perhaps, if you plant them raised up a little, like mini drills it will lessen the risk of them sitting in wet soil which will help.

And when your back stops aching,
      And your hands begin to harden.
      You will find yourself a partner,
      In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I would think the best bet would be a raised bed 8" or so above ground level, in a sunny location & filled with something that is free draining (maybe put some of that cheapo Jack's M@gic )
        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Mine are in raised beds but I'm in the Aberdeenshire area that got flooded in January. Hope that doesn't happen again!
          When weeding, the best way to make sure you are removing a weed and not a valuable plant is to pull on it.
          If it comes out of the ground easily, it is a valuable plant.

Comment

it was me suggested perenial garlic bed earlier.. no need to do any thinning. they won't either rot. only we have to ensure the patch is filled with well drianed soil to cope with august wetness.

this year I also want to try with onions. cut the onion from the top and leave the base end to regrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Elfeda View Post
              it was me suggested perenial garlic bed earlier.. no need to do any thinning. they won't either rot. only we have to ensure the patch is filled with well drianed soil to cope with august wetness.
              White onion rot doesnt come from planting in wet soil.
              It is a fungus that can build up in the soil where garlic/onions and leeks have been grown or cropped frequently. Once it's in one bed it can be spread all over the plot, on your boots, tools or put into the compost bin.

Comment

I is as 'permanent garlic bread!!' I wish! A thought on growing it where it's already been grown... What about garlic farms? They must grow it in the same fields every year, year after year, so you could always ask one of them
                You may say I'm a dreamer... But I'm not the only one...

I'm an official nutter - an official 'cropper' of a nutter! I am sooooo pleased to be a cropper! Hurrah!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X