Cucumber Seed Sowing Time?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Create your own fruit and vegetable growing calendar

Yes, that webpage advises a sowing date for ridge cucumbers near the end of April for my area of the UK. It worked well last year and I'm not going to sow them any earlier this year. The panic to sow them too early never seems to work out.

Comment

I've started using this site as a general reminder:

Planting guide and reminders to keep your kitchen garden growing
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I sow mid to late April, as others have said, they germinate and grow so quickly. My first year of growing cucs I sowed about now and had to deal with potting on and staking them almost weekly! By the time they could go in the greenhouse it was a three man job to support and plant the triffids that had almost reached the top of my windows! Fun and exciting at the time but in hindsight.... It's easier to sow later

Comment

I grow mine outside so I have to be careful not to sow too early. In 2014 I sowed on 28th April (Vega, one of the small ones) and was eating cucumbers towards the end of July. Last year I sowed on 3rd May due to the cold weather, and probably because of the cold I ate the first fruit on 13th September, although I did get a couple in early August from one I planted in my friend's greenhouse.

This year I will sow at the end of April unless the forecast is awful, but I have a new variety, Cucino, which says on the packet it can be sown earlier then Vega. I am going to try sowing one seed at the end of March, which will live in my friend's greenhouse in the hope of getting some earlier cucumbers this year.
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
            I've started using this site as a general reminder:

Planting guide and reminders to keep your kitchen garden growing
            Thanks for the link BM I've bookmarked it
            Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Thanks all. I was a little confused as packet said to sow from march but will give it a few weeks.

Comment

Whis hi had read this before I planted my cucumbers today
                Dogs have masters, cats have slaves, and horses are just wonderful

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X