No announcement yet.

potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm trying a newish variety called Athelete, apparently it's a good all rounder and should have some blight resistance, I'm also growing a few pink fur Apple cos I can.

And a couple of tubs of Sarpo Mira for a "who can get the heaviest yield" comp on a Facebook gardening site.
    Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Never grew a spud before last year but the lady Christl were lovely and I will be growing them again this year. I also wasn't impressed with the Charlotte that I grew.

As well as Lady Christl, I'll also be growing Anya, Vivaldi and Sarpo Mira (because Allotmentdiary Dan got some huge spuds and I want some big bakers).

Also trying other tubers this year: Oca (grew them last year but growing more this year), Jerusalem Artichokes (again more this year than last) plus new this year - Ulluco and Yacon.
      Posted on an iPad so apologies for any randomly auto-corrected gobbledegook

Comment

I will be trying jazzy for the first time this year. Hope to get another 3 or 4 varieties including pink fur apple next weekend.

Comment

I got round to planting up my big tubs with their tatties yesterday, 3 tubs of "salad blue", one of the best tasting tatties, my favourite, 3 tubs of "charlotte" (white), a good salad/Barbie time tattie, and 3 tubs of "highland burgundy", a tasty red cored maincrop tattie, so it looks like this years crop will be very patriotic, red, white and blue,, with the black toms and purple, red, white and yellow carrots planned for this summer eating will get very visually interesting....and tasty..

Comment

Thanks everyone

I grew some late crops that were ready for Christmas and although they didn't provide a lot they were nice non the less

I am planning on growing these in my garden.

The soil is quite clay like in places with stones, giving it the best sieving I can prior to planting

I managed to get some Charlottes, picassos, and some red jukes to try
            Last edited by gardengeordie; 06-03-2016, 07:32 PM.

Comment

A trip to wilko today to be tempted by some more spuds. Still cant decide about Charlotte, often gets praised but i wasn't impressed last year, maybe it deserves another chance...
              Last edited by Root66; 07-03-2016, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Root I grew Charlotte for the first time last year and now they're my favourite one to grow.
                Location....East Midlands.

Comment

I'm sure i'll grab a handful. I'll give them a stern talking to and a final warning though

Comment

filled up to the fill line and the women was shocked i didnt go beyond :-)

Comment

I only grow Charlottes (2nd earlies) as even before we moved into here with its teeny weeny garden I have never had much spud space.

I love the Charlottes and have found that if we have to many buckets ready at the same time I can lop off the tops and put them in the shed where they will keep for quite a few weeks as long as they are not watered.
                      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

I'm also very happy with Charlottes, perhaps mainly because the slugs leave them alone. Last year I didn't finish digging them up until November, they had kept fresh in the ground just fine. They've been in my garden shed over winter and I'm just finishing the last of them now. They are sprouting now of course but rub the shoots off and they still work ok boiled or mashed.
                        My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
                        Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Charlotte's went into the wilko bag.....as did kestrel and anya.

Comment

I also have a few of the round potato bags to use, how many potatoes could I get away with putting in one of these?

Comment

anya ,sharpo mira and maris peer for me ,i turned the bed where my onions are going on saturday and found 4 maris peers from last year and if i hadn't choped em with the spade they would have still been good to eat! Dal

ps has anyone grown spuds in those white woven plastic ruble sacks? iv'e got 25 of them and was thinking of growing spuds in them and placing them in a trench with the soil 3/4 of the way up so they stay moist ,any thoughts from others would be welcome .
                              Last edited by Dalrimple; 07-03-2016, 04:53 PM.

Comment

spuds in pots

Following on from Dalrimple ref growing in rubble bags - I got my seed spuds from Jamieson Brothers who suggest growing in polypots - 1 chitted seed potato to 1 pot, 1 inch of compost then the seed, then fill the pot to the top with compost and place the pot on top of the soil bed. The roots grow into the soil - no digging up of spuds or earthing up. Anyone tried this method?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X