No announcement yet.

Jiffy 7 Propagators

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The man in the local garden shop was recommending those pellets to me last week (though probably some other brand than Jiffy). Said he uses them for all his pepper plants and they do a great job. I didn't buy any because I already had cell trays and seed compost, which have worked fine for me so far. But I might try a few some time to see if there's any advantage. Probably good for plants that don't like having their roots disturbed.

Comment

I've only used the smaller jiffy pots, but I've had issues with both germination rate and survival rate once plants hit the "fabric".

I changed from jiffy pots to a mix of perlite and seed raising mix a couple of weeks ago and both the germination rate and the growth after germination have improved dramatically.

I've been making "newspaper" pots from cheap paper towel and filling them with my mix. I know for sure those will fall apart once transplanted, whereas whether the roots will grow through Jiffy pot fabric always seems to be a gamble.

Ironically, I've had seeds which sat in a Jiffy pot doing nothing for weeks finally germinate when I threw the "soil" from the jiffy pot in my seed raising mix bucket.
      Last edited by lolie; 28-02-2016, 10:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ger-annie-um View Post
        I could send you a few small ones if you'd like to 'try before you buy'
        Many thanks for the kind offer Annie! I do have a bag somewhere with a slack handful in, may just dig that out and try a few!

But thanks again!
        "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

I've had problems with Jiffy pellets restricting growth on beetroot for instance. The netting doesn't degrade quickly enough and this restricts the growth.
          Follow my progress in gardening at altitude in France www.750metres.net

Comment

Ive used these for years and think they are brilliant, expand in water then put in heated propagator, as each one germinates i take out the propagator and then really easy to pot on a few weeks later, no issues with germination

Comment

Originally posted by Duvy View Post
              Ive used these for years and think they are brilliant, expand in water then put in heated propagator, as each one germinates i take out the propagator and then really easy to pot on a few weeks later, no issues with germination
              I'm with Duvy on this, although I only used the Jiffy brand once and was disappointed. I use a brand called Grow More.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X