Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chillies - what are you growing/overwintering?

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They are coming a long nicely.SusieG

Comment

• One of my Jalapenos that I am just leaving to get on with it...A nice few chillies on the way..
      Attached Files
      I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
      sigpic

Comment

• its coming all lovely trip. Its nice to have early chills.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ms-T View Post
          its coming all lovely trip. Its nice to have early chills.
          Yep, liking the thoughts of some early Jalapenos
          I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
          sigpic

Comment

• Look what I got coming up
            an another cptn's cross ,only planted two so 100%
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Ms-T; 22-05-2016, 01:16 AM.

Comment

• ..hence me 'top watering' ... Your thoughts, please
              What Scarlet said (Your plants look great btw)

These are all but 4 of my surviving overwintered ones for this year:

Pic 1 Left to right is Orange Thai 2nd yr (current favourite for making jam and chutney), Serrano Tampiqueno 3rd yr (ingredient in Sriracha sauce), Black Pearl 2nd yr (for ornamental value mainly).
              Pic 2 Left to right is Moruga Scorpion 2nd yr (about 40% left from a month ago thanks to the very late winter snap in April), Chinese Black 2nd yr (also had to have further pruning thanks to the cold spell), Espelette 2nd yr (and makes the best chilli powder imo).

Out of shot I have a Habanero Chocolate and a Habanero Monster, both 2nd yr, but neither is much to look at at the moment again thanks to the erratic spring weather.

And still to go out are Alma Paprika 2nd yr, Fatalii 3rd yr.

Both Sante Fe Grande and my Orange Thai from saved seed succumbed to cold damage.

I'm in the process of potting up the various plugs bought in the last couple of weeks. I ordered 6 of them off the internet and what turned up were in good health but the stems were twisted and bent, so I've straightened them by splinting with flower sticks and bits of string. I'm quite sad like that
              Attached Files

Comment

• I am a bit late to this thread, however I am very impressed and jealous of all your plants and set ups. I don't have a heated prop let alone grow lights so very jealous. I was trying to overwinter several plants but they have all given up now so were slung the other day.

I started sowing Feb 14th and have a few odd ones that were sown a few weeks ago. Ones I have got to grow this year are

Purple Tiger
                Ohnivec
                Piemento De Padron
                Guindilla
                Fatalli
                Fish Chilli
                Jalapeno
                Little Elf
                A slovak chilli was told it was zeleninova, but that just means vegetable so it is a mystery
                Corno Rosso
                Keystone Giant
                Sante Fe Grande
                Lilac
                Fatima

I am also waiting for plugs of

Hab. red devil
                Hab. big sun
                Joes Super Long
                Prairie Fire
                Piri piri
                Lemon drop

Why is it it always looks so much worse when you list them
                Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 22-05-2016, 06:04 AM.

Comment

• They look great Philthy. I think from your photos I need to cut back a bit more than I do, yours have a lovely shape.

NG, good list..and you want more seeds ? Have you got any photos? I don't have grow lights yet - I think I may be getting some for Christmas but I couldnt do without a heated propagator. I don't have a fancy one, it's large though and has a fixed temp. I couldnt be without for germinating chillies, I generally have really good results using it.
                  Last edited by Scarlet; 22-05-2016, 07:33 AM.

Comment

• Philthy, they're looking very well! Like the support thingies you have around them ..

NG - a bumper list indeed, sure you need more!!!

And Scarlet - a heated propagator is on my Christmas list, too!

Can't wait to try some unusual varieties next year - choc Hab is on my 'to do' list as they failed so spectacularly this year .......!
                    ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                    a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                    - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• Scarlet you can never have enough seeds I will post some picks when I have a chance but it looks like I am on indoor duty again so don't know when I will get out to take pics.

Edit: I have checked last years list where I grew 17 varieties compared to 20 this year. I am new to chillies and peppers as well as having a greenhouse so I might calm down in a couple of years I have tried choc hab the last couple of years and all I have managed is one or 2 germinate get about 5mm big and die
                      Last edited by Norfolkgrey; 22-05-2016, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• I think it was Susie(?) who also tried a chocolate hab and had the same problems. I used to go mad with tons of varieties then end up with nothing to show for it. I wasgoing to be sensible this year but to be fair I binned or gave away loads of surplus plants. Ive not kept huge amounts of each variety. It's having the space later on in the year that's the problem.

Susie, look for a propagator in the salesin the Summer...you may get a bargain. Jack had a good one from @amazon, I wonder what he thought of it? I haven't seen him about much lately - hope he is doing ok.

Comment

• Yes, Scarlet it was me with the complete choc hab failure .....
                          And thanks for the heads-up re heated prop in summer sales - perhaps it could be a late addition to the birthday list rather than the xmas one!!!
                          ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
                          a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
                          - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

• I was just wondering where everyone puts all these chillis they grow?
                            sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
                              I was just wondering where everyone puts all these chillis they grow?
                              Greenhouses and some windows inside...I am struggling this year to find places to put them all, as usual

...utterly nutterly
                              sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Jay22 View Post
                                I was just wondering where everyone puts all these chillis they grow?
                                Very tempted to reply..."In ma belly"

...utterly nutterly
                                sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X