Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chillies - what are you growing/overwintering?

Collapse

This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Philthy View Post
    You could put the tray in the airing cupboard if you have one, or on top of a boiler. Light is crucial post-germination (so check the tray daily so you don't miss any shoots coming through into darkness and then going spindly and pale).

Or you could get a basic propagator tray designed to fit window sills:

Super 7 Self Watering Propagators from Gardening Naturally

Consistent warmth is the key
    Thanks philthy. I see a floor in my plan! My seeds are already in a heated propagator!

Comment

• Could just be time then, SP.
      3 weeks (or longer) isn't out of the question before you see signs of life.

What have you sown so far?

Comment

• Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
        Pre chit your seeds on a damp piece of kitchen roll sealed in a Tupperware/plastic pot and place it on the top of your fridge....you will be surprised how quick you'll spot the root.
        I've tried that as well. Albeit it was a small plastic clear food container. Still not playing ball.

Comment

• Where did you keep it? What varieties are being difficult?

Comment

Where did you keep it? What varieties are being difficult?
            On an East facing windowsill. The 2 varieties I'm having bother with are numex twighlight chilli and guindilla.

Comment

• The container will benefit from constant heat, stick it ontop of the fridge...they stay warm 24/7. Windowsills get cold at night.

Comment

The container will benefit from constant heat, stick it ontop of the fridge...they stay warm 24/7. Windowsills get cold at night.
                Id love too but my fridge is under a bench. I've resowed about 9 of each in the hope I get 1 more plant of each. I'll have to save some more blooming seed at the end if the season due to the amount I've used.

Comment

• Originally posted by Philthy View Post
                  Could just be time then, SP.
                  3 weeks (or longer) isn't out of the question before you see signs of life.

What have you sown so far?
                  Well you asked
                  They were all sown 10th Feb
                  This lot has germinated
                  habanero.
                  lemon drop.
                  jalapeño
                  joe's long.
                  bhut jolokia ghost.
                  jays peach ghost scorpion.
                  Thai dragon
                  Delhi hot.
                  numex piñata
                  holy mole.
                  scotch bonnet.
                  Vietnamese tear jerker.
                  black naga.

Not yet germinated
                  cayenne.
                  facing heaven.
                  birds eye.
                  Trinidad scorpion sunrise.
                  jalapeño purple.
                  tropical heat
                  hot banana
                  numex big Jim
                  ring of fire.

Any ideas? Or am I just being impatient.

Comment

• Your just bein impatient! what are you going to do with all them

Comment

Your just bein impatient! what are you going to do with all them
                      Eat them probably for the next 8 years!

Comment

• Nice list. Extensive but nice. Think the most I ever sowed in a year was 18 varieties, two cells /pots of each. (Much less this year, I'm doing 6 - maybe 7...)

Maintain the moisture and warmth and wait awhile longer. If you've got germinated seed in your propagator and you're now venting it, but the other seeds still to come through are housed in the same space, that could also be why the germination rate has slowed.
                        Last edited by Philthy; 09-03-2016, 10:52 PM.

Comment

• I do get a bit carried away with my chilli's
                          only one of each will be getting 100% care & attention. Living in Hilton style luxury ( for chilli's)

Comment

• Am struggling to get pasilla bajio to germinate - any tips? All the others are fine.
                            http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

• They are annums aren't they Sparrow? You shouldn't have much trouble with them if you've got them on heat...probably old seed? Have you got any left? It might be worth while soaking them for a bit first. Or make sure the ones you've got in have had a bit more water than you would normally use.

Comment

• Originally posted by Small pumpkin View Post
                                I do get a bit carried away with my chilli's
                                only one of each will be getting 100% care & attention. Living in Hilton style luxury ( for chilli's)
                                That's what I was going to do but it's very difficult to bin those chillies that are looking healthy...20 Manzanos in the bin it is then

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X