No announcement yet.

Sweet Peppers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been watering my sweet pepper plant to a minium and from the bottom. Check every day and never goes dry etc. Yesterday I noticed a bud!!!!
    And there's me thinking that I might have to forget about it til the spring.
    So quite chuffed!!

Comment

I grew poblano anchoa last year which is a very mild chilli which grows big enough to stuff or slice as a pepper replacement. Its not sweet but It's very productive and I'm growing it again next year.
      Follow my grow and cook your own blog

https://tabularasa.org.uk/
      Wordpress Reader: Tabularassa99
      Facebook: https://mfacebook.com/tabularasathrive
      Instagram: Tabularasathrive

Comment

Originally posted by Ms-T View Post
        I'm giving up on the big peppers next year, mine are big but green ,i don't like them green.
        so might try Santa Fe Grande next year.
        Santa Fe Grande have some heat - so are not a sweet pepper as such I grew them last year and pickled them like a peppercinio as they have similar heat.

Comment

Originally posted by ecudc View Post
          I grew poblano anchoa last year which is a very mild chilli which grows big enough to stuff or slice as a pepper replacement. Its not sweet but It's very productive and I'm growing it again next year.
          One for my list for next year - have got pepperoncini golden greek for this years mild chilli

Comment

Originally posted by Chris11 View Post
            How are the Midas doing, and what do you think of the taste?

I nearly bought some last year, as they're a very interesting variety. I doubt they're a cross with a Habanero, far more likely to be something like a Jalapeno.

Midas was developed by Gourmet Genetics, which I've also mentioned on tomato threads.
            Gourmet Genetics - chilli 'Midas'

I think you could save seeds from it, as it's likely to be a cross that has been stabilised over several generations, and not an F1
            I know is a really late reply but the Midas never germinated ladt year so complete failure

Infact all my peppers failed last year

This year a have another greenhouse at the allotment to try them, I think im sticking to Gypsy mainly, just found them the easiest
            Last edited by maverick451; 10-01-2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

I've tried various types of sweet pepper, both from seed and bought as plants from the garden centre. I find the bell peppers in general have disappointing yields.

Over the last couple of years I've been very impressed by the snackbite varieties - you can get red, yellow and orange. They are about the size of chillies and there are plenty of fruit on a plant. Mine lasted until November in the greenhouse and I still have an orange one with one small green fruit on it on my landing windowsill. Last year I cut the indoor plants down to a couple of inches when they started to drop their leaves, and they survived the winter, producing a few more peppers (earlier but not as many as the new plants).
              A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Last year I grew Lipstick and Napia - which I started off in the airing cupboard and had 100% germination. Both did very well in the greenhouse - 1 was pointy and the other was more square. Good crops and ripened well. I also grew a hot one - Albertos Locoto - very large bush with purple flowers. fruited well but decided I don't like hot peppers enough to grow again! My neighbour grew one on his sheltered patio and it did really well too.

Comment

ps just looked at my order to see what I am going to try this year - Pepper Carmagnola - from Italian Alps so recommended for our cooler climate.

Comment

Same here especially the bell type like California Wonder.

Had some success with Mohawk and Santa Fe Grande (which is more a very mild chili)

Have got Sweet Red Cherry and Pepperoncini Golden Greek this year. - Time will tell -

Comment

For those interested in the snackbite sized varieties, has anyone grown Barancio?

I've been given a small number of seeds in a swap, so will be giving it a go this year if I can find room.

Pepper Barancio Seeds - All Vegetable Seeds - Vegetable Seeds - Gardening

Comment

Originally posted by Chris11 View Post
                        For those interested in the snackbite sized varieties, has anyone grown Barancio?

I've been given a small number of seeds in a swap, so will be giving it a go this year if I can find room.

Pepper Barancio Seeds - All Vegetable Seeds - Vegetable Seeds - Gardening

no i have not ,
                        .but they look good.i have sowed mini bell which i have had luck growing.and long red marconi which was good last year.
                        I am now waiting for
                        Semaroh Early Sweet Pepper
                        . Napia Pointy Red Sweet Pepper
                        Lipstick Early Sweet Pepper.

Comment

Growing four varieties of Sweet Peppers this year. Palermo Pointed Red, Barancio, Sweet Banana and an Enjoya F2.

None ripe yet, but feeling optimistic because plants look better than any previous years. Large strong plants, lots of fruits and flowers
                          Last edited by Chris11; 04-09-2017, 05:35 PM. Reason: Adding variety

Comment

Sweet Bananas have been good. Been eating them yellow, but have left the best fruits for seed saving, and they're now ripening to darker colour red.

Palermos look great, but still green. Enjoya F2 also still green, and based on other reports, expecting them to ripen to yellow rather than striped.

Barancio were the earliest to fully ripen. They're an orange snackbite type variety and really sweet. Have been saving seeds and will definitely grow again. Suttons appear to have stopped selling this variety, so it could become rare, which is confusing . Would definitely recommend.

Numex Sandia and Santa Fe Grande also doing well. They're chillies rather than sweet peppers, but for me, they're large enough and mild enough to use as peppers.

Comment

Cant be ashed with peppers no more , had some decent ones but the room needed for minimal return is pointless to me. greenhouse deffo needed and more important things

Comment

Slugs have been enjoying my peppers this year.

Only one made it partly ripe and turned yellow.
                                Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X