No announcement yet.

Sweet Peppers

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just received Marconi Red seeds and intend to grow about 5 plants of them.
    Think you need to get them up to a reasonable size before going outside. I suspect this is a big part of success or not.

Mine this year are going at the rear and hopefully in a more protected position - the bed is being "reorientated" - simply growing the other direction across not along.

Comment

Like Mr Bones, the best results I've had are from pointy peppers that I bought from the supermarket and saved the seed from the ones I grew, year on year.

I like the idea of the snack peppers though, might try them this year too.
      Attached Files
      My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ananke View Post

I like the idea of the snack peppers though, might try them this year too.
        When Gurgling I found quite a few f1s but the Johnson ones are supposed to be OP, so I can save seed if they grow well

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
          When Gurgling I found quite a few f1s but the Johnson ones are supposed to be OP, so I can save seed if they grow well
          Maybe I should get those too, the supermarket ones are bound to be F1s
          My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

I grew Marconi red last year - I started them off on a windowsill and then moved them outside (I dont have a greenhouse) - they didnt produce loads of peppers, but I wasn't expecting them to - especially considering the rubbish summer!

I did get three or four ripe peppers per plant though - they were rather small compared to what I expected but still tasted good!

I've got some mini bell pepper seeds from the VSP this year and will probably try the marconi red again too. I like the idea of saving seeds from the supermarket ones though - I buy loads of them!!

Comment

Possibly was me that sent in the Mila's Bulgarian as I originally got some of them from Irish Seed Savers and have been growing them for a few years now...
              Described as "long tapering scarlet peppers ripening early September" ...............actually that reminds me that I might be out of them..must check

Doux D'Espagne and Antohi Romanian are others that have done well for me...
              I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
              sigpic

Comment

I grow F1 Blockie mix in the GH get quite a reasonable crop of red, yellow and orange peppers.

Sown mid March indoors moved to the GH when warm enough. Usually start to Harvest late July early August.
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Possibly was me that sent in the Mila's Bulgarian
                  If you got your Doux D'Espagne seeds from the VSP then they were probably from the bag I sent in LOL

small world innit

Comment

Another endorsement for Gypsy: plants produced well for me last year and the peppers have good crunch and taste.
                    One to avoid IMO is Tasty Grill Red (or yellow) from T&M - if you get one fully formed pepper per plant you're doing well. Add to that a couple of undersized write offs and that's your reward for 6 months of TLC. Not worth the effort. I've tried 3 times with this one so can't put it down to a bad year.

Comment

I have just picked these up at the shop today and bought some more seeds, work out about 40p a pack, the expensive range, the cheap ones are 20p a pack

They seem to be the varieties sold everywere and people were buying them..... so.... they must be good.....

Kurtowska Kapya ...pointy red and green pepper on pack
                      Zlaten Medal...pointy light green one

No idea if they are any good or not!
                      Attached Files
                      Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

Last year I grew
                        d'asti giallo - Did well
                        lamuyo - grew from seeds saved from supermarket brought pepper. Got one full sized fruit. Will definitely try again this year, because they are monsters.
                        California wonder - did OK, never have much success with them. Will try again
                        Marconi red - new for this year.

Comment

I grow different peppers and find the year to be more important than the variety.
                          They all seem to like a lot of feeding and watering, a bit like sweetcorn.
                          They also like warmth , especially when small, when they are very slow-growing.

I grow them in an unheated greenhouse, in the beds, and have been told that over-high temperatures prevent fruit setting - so the crop tends to be late. So shading them when it's bright and hot helps.

Doux des Longues did best last year.
                          Lipstick tasted great, but set few fruit.

Comment

I grow the snack pepper snackbite orange on my landing windowsill in 2 litre pots. The plants are quite compact and the peppers are small, pointy and have a lovely flavour. I'm going to try snackbite red and snackbite yellow this year too. I also grew one plant in a 7.5 litre pot in my friends cold greenhouse last year. The plant is looking very much worse for wear, and the peppers were later than the ones in my house, but there are still a couple of fruit on it, ripening slowly (!).

For bell peppers I have much the best success buying plants from the garden centre later on, as I need my warm space for tomatoes in spring.
                            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Last year I grew Bell Boy Bell Peppers and Marconi Red. Both varieties seemed to do pretty well, with Marconi ripening first.
                              What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                              Pumpkin pi.

Comment

I did have a dwarf pepper but my daughter claimed it for her flat in Edinburgh so my wife bought me this from Aldi yesterday, £2.99, anyone got one of these?

It's just called Sweet pepper red.

Attached Files
                                Last edited by allyby; 26-06-2016, 02:03 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X