No announcement yet.

Strawberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew the red and white alpine strawberries last year and they grew and fruited well. They need light to germinate and this could be why some people have had problems with them. They fruited well in the first year and still have some flowers on now (!). If you have limited space though you probably want "proper" strawberries as the alpine fruits are very small.

From the list on the links above, my preference would be Elsanta or possibly Cambridge Favourite. I have grown Vibrant and found them completely tasteless so would avoid those. My absolute favourite, if you can find it, is Marshmello which knocks everything else out of the ball park for flavour.
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
      I grew the red and white alpine strawberries last year and they grew and fruited well. They need light to germinate and this could be why some people have had problems with them. They fruited well in the first year and still have some flowers on now (!). If you have limited space though you probably want "proper" strawberries as the alpine fruits are very small.

From the list on the links above, my preference would be Elsanta or possibly Cambridge Favourite. I have grown Vibrant and found them completely tasteless so would avoid those. My absolute favourite, if you can find it, is Marshmello which knocks everything else out of the ball park for flavour.
      Found those Marshmello on ebay again and added them to my watch list. I may give them a try. I'll see if anyone else has any suggestion. Thanks.

Comment

I've not tried them but from the research I did Marshmello seem to be very popular! I went for the Marshalls offer (Temptation) that came with the GYO mag - twenty runners for postage cost (£5 or £6)
        Last edited by vixylix; 25-01-2016, 03:10 PM. Reason: Remembered the type :)

Comment

I grow pine berries alongside my regular strawberrys they are white look like a strawberry but taste of pineapple
          When you have a hammer in your hand everything around you starts looking like a nail.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoot View Post
            Thanks for all the replies. I have managed to find someone on ebay where i can get 5 runners for a fiver...

10 / 20 OR 35 x STRAWBERRY PLANTS BARE ROOTED CHOICE OF VARIETIES PLANT NOW

There are a load of different types, anyone got any favourites they can see on that list?

Or maybe these?

Elsanta strawberry plants x 10 Bare Root
            Everybody has there favourites

Personally I like Korona because there have excellent root diesease resistance

This is a good site to look up different varieties

Korona, Strawberry by R W Walpole Ltd

Comment

Originally posted by maverick451 View Post
              Everybody has there favourites

Personally I like Korona because there have excellent root diesease resistance

This is a good site to look up different varieties

Korona, Strawberry by R W Walpole Ltd
              Thanks maverick.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X