No announcement yet.

Toms, in a pot or bag?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pots and troughs for me. Filled with the contents of a growbag but not the actual bag itself. I use the plastic bag to line hanging baskets.

Comment

The thing is with tomatoes, is they have an ability to put down more roots from thier fibrous stems, taking this into account, as with most plants, these fibrous roots are the ones that search out food and nutrition, leaving the main roots to go down in search of water and moisture.

This is where "Ring Culture" came into affect, the idea being, you bury it's initial roots in soil, then bury the bottom of the stem in a collar of soil to award the plant to put out these feeding roots.

That way it enables you to water the base pot, trough, bag whatever it may be, then feed the the top collar with your said feed awarding you a higher and as John said a sweeter yield!

So yes! They will happily grow in a bag or pot, and will happily give you an harvest,
      but surely the time you have spent sowing, bringing on, nurturing your plants, you want em to give you the best they can!
      Attached Files
      "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

I am sure I have asked before but cant find where, what is the sweetest cherry toms you have grown, I am thinking of doing some in hanging baskets.
        If you want to view paradise
        Simply look around and view it.

Comment

IMO best toms for hanging baskets are the original Tumbler. Do not get mixed up with Tumbler Tom two different plants. Great yield and good taste.

The sweetest to my palette are Sun Gold but these are a cordon tomato.
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

In the past I have used grow bags, and as I worked 12hr shifts, I made a trough with some skirting boards and a poly. sheet and filled it with water, then placed three pairs of building bricks into trough, this is to hold the grow bag above the waterloosen up the grow bag cut your planting holes, I went for three, push something to act as a wick through the base of the bag, one at each planting hole, and folded newspaper draws the water up,set the bag up and soak the bag leave for a couple of hours then plant up with tomatoes, keep a level of water in the trough at all times and feed the bag.
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Mine will be going into big pots and into the greenhouse. I might try a few in the raised bed, but I'm a little unsure how they will do.

Comment

I use b & q builders buckets that I drill holes in the base of, do this after pouring really hot water over the base to make it less brittle and likely to crack, a 50/50 topsoil/gpc mix which gets a small handful of chicken poo pellets every 6 weeks or so until you start feeding them after the first trusses have formed, with a tomato feed. we get enough toms from 6-8 plants (my own 3rd generation crosses) to still have loads of pasta sauces still left in the freezer..

Comment

Morrisons flower buckets cheap and work just fine with ten mil holes drilled in base and this year's toms are sweet aperatif

Comment

Originally posted by maverick451 View Post
                    Toms needs big pots

10L pots need alot of watering, 20L pots imo are about right, 30L pots even better
                    You answered my question before I had to ask

Last year I grew mine in the raised beds in the polytunnel and they did great. This year I'll probably have some in there again (in a different bed) but am also thinking about putting a couple in the greenhouse.
                    If I'm not on the Grapevine I can usually be found here!....https://www.thecomfreypatch.co.uk/

Comment

Malc

I've always used growbags with varying results, have decided to use Airpots this year, has anyone else used them and if so what compost do you recommend?

Comment

Hello Malcolm and welcome. Don't know if this helps http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ots_62127.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X