No announcement yet.

Shallots instead of onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was out for walk yesterday afternoon (to the pub!).
    Popped into Poundstretcher , they had started with the seeds spuds onions etc.
    A bag of 12 shallots was 89p.
    Got 2 Golden Gourmet
    And 1 Red Sun
    Fingers crossed.
    Ooo I feel all springy, time to start firing up the greenhouse!
    Anyone else got that feeling?
    Jimmy.
    Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Bill, when you say a banana shallot is really an onion, do they grow like an onion rather than splitting into several bulbs?
      My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ananke View Post
        Bill, when you say a banana shallot is really an onion, do they grow like an onion rather than splitting into several bulbs?
        It depends on what you call a banana shallot. I think some people use the term to describe elongated shallots that can be grown from sets and do split.

The zebrune shallots (and the red version simiane) can only be grown from seed and do not split.
        Posted on an iPad so apologies for any randomly auto-corrected gobbledegook

Comment

Thanks Spam, glad to hear it. Last year I bought a bag of shallots from the supermarked, planted a few and got great results so when I spotted bags of banana shallots going cheap in Lidl last week, I got them and planted them today, if they weren't going to split, I would just have lifted them.

Edit: Hmmm now I'm not sure if these are banana shallots or just elongated ones, need to check.
          Last edited by Ananke; 26-01-2016, 01:56 AM.
          My blog - http://carol-allotmentheaven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X