No announcement yet.

Hanging Baskets and Toms

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grow Maskotka, they're very tasty. Have also grown a basket of Peardrop the past couple of years which are small yellow plum types, pretty tasty too and add a bit of different colour.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

I like the talk about varieties as it means I am more aware of taste etc (even though it is subjective)

As always Thanks All
      I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

I think Tumbler are a pretty good tasting tom.
        What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
        Pumpkin pi.

Comment

^^^^^^^^^Scoot I agree with the above and I also agree with you that Tumbler Tom are very bland but in all fairness I think the best way to find your favourite tom is to take the suggestions made and try them all.

After all if we all like the same tom there would only be one variety.
          Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

^^^so true. We all have different tastes with regards to sweetness, etc.
            Pumpkin pi.

Comment

I now have 13 tom varieties to try this year including some (so they reckon) cold tolerant varieties so there are going to be planters everywhere until I find some that are.....
              good for raw, freezing, cooking etc.
              I have an urge to go dancing with smurfs as the name fascinates me.
              I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

13 on my list also this year too Lumpy!

Although they say unlucky for some, I am throwing caution to the wind.

Not only that, if I am overcome with my OCD! Will take "Tomotilla" off the list and class it as a Melon!
                "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

I'm cutting back this year. Two bush cherry varieties, two beef varieties and two salad.
                  Pumpkin pi.

Comment

I......... well SWMBO really have now settled on three varieties Tumbler for the hanging baskets, in the GH it's Sungold to eat as sweets whilst in there and Red Zebra for a sharper taste in the tomato soup.
                    Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

I have..............
                      Balconi Yellow. Red Alert, Princeps Borghese, Latah, Glacier, Losetto, Totem, Tigerella, Gardeners Delight, Ailsa Craig and finally (and I am not sure of the name) Sweet Million

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
                        ^^^^^^^^^Scoot I agree with the above and I also agree with you that Tumbler Tom are very bland but in all fairness I think the best way to find your favourite tom is to take the suggestions made and try them all.

After all if we all like the same tom there would only be one variety.
                        Yeah i agree. I'll probably give Maskotka a go i think.

By the way is "tumbler" just tumbling tom?

Comment

Well if we are comparing lists!

Sun gold, Gardeners Delight, Shirley, Tigrella, Red Pear, Yellow Perfection, Rosella, Harbinger and Black Krim! And am hoping to order a collection of "Artisan Tomatoes" as a new one for this year, a little more research to be done, but think the later are "Open Pollinated, I may be wrong, but have a few idea's this year!

I really only grow the one's me and the family like to eat!
                          "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Lumpy ,when I plant up my tomato basket like Potty I line the basket with an old compost bag and make sure that there`s at least an inch at the base to hold water, when filling with compost I place a cola bottle with a small hole pierced in the cap, and the base cut off, into the basket, and this is used to add the water, fill and plant the tomato, if using the bottle fill to half inch from top, if not fill to 1inch from top
                            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I also put in a pop bottle in my hanging baskets. What size are your baskets Lumpy?
                              Last edited by Scarlet; 10-01-2016, 08:14 PM.

Comment

16 inch and I had not thought about the pop bottle idea even though I do that for my squash that is grown in tyres.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X