Brussels sprouts

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    Sorry, still don't understand what you're actually doing here (been one of those days ). How much do you cut off and doesn't that mean you get less sprouts rather Han a bumper crop as you've just thrown away the top section?
    The pigeons obliterated the cabbage top of my sprouts. You don't get more sprouts once this happens it just makes the ones near the top mature quicker and gives good sized sprouts at the top of the plant.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      Sorry, still don't understand what you're actually doing here (been one of those days ). How much do you cut off and doesn't that mean you get less sprouts rather Han a bumper crop as you've just thrown away the top section?
      the top leafy bit not the top bit with sprouts on?

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
        The pigeons obliterated the cabbage top of my sprouts. You don't get more sprouts once this happens it just makes the ones near the top mature quicker and gives good sized sprouts at the top of the plant.
        Very fair point, I keep all my brassicas covered all their lives so avoid this problem

Originally posted by alldigging View Post
        the top leafy bit not the top bit with sprouts on?
        OK, that makes more sense, I'd read it as cutting off a chunk and assumed it was bigger but less sprouts as the aim but wasn't sure. To be honest, I want all my veggies to produce gradually in line with our meals so prefer the staged development but was a bit curious (read nosey!)

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Alison, Sorry I didn't make myself clearer!

Yes, as Alldigging said, just cut off the (Sprout Top) small cabbage looking bit, and don't throw it away, take it home and cook it as you would a cabbage, and like Snadger, have no idea how it works! But work it does!

Attached Files
          "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

No worries, I'm easily confused

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Many thanks to all who contributed to the conversation. In the end I decided on Bedford and I'm looking forward to trying these out this year, especially with all the knowledge gained from this post!

Once again, many thanks to all!

Kenneth

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X