Brussels sprouts

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Noosner View Post
    Oh, that's useful info about the blown sprouts. In my crop, it's always the bigger sprouts that blow, further down the stalk, so I end up with lots of little ones that taste good but are a pain to prepare. Will get the lump hammer out next time!
    I've used blown sprouts. They are a bit of a faff to make sure they're clean.

Comment

Below is a good thread from a few years back about sprouts blowing,good idea to try a couple of varieties. I'm trying evesham special this year too,my plants are 3" tall under plastic cloche at the moment & some in the blow away in pots. I had first time luck with a Jamie Oliver/home base brand. I firmed them in well but also planted them deep,they're shallow rooted plants,mine still tilted in the wind & I had to add supports later (I used some u shape bamboo stick wedged into the raised bed sides,it's awkward adding supports later,I didn't want to damage any roots by poking bamboo sticks in). But they didn't blow
      If you're growing them for the first time make sure no cabbage white butterfly comes within a couple of inches of your plants,I used netting,but as the plant grew to the height of the top of the net,the butterflies sit on the net & stick their ovipositors down an inch to reach the leaves.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...blowing-4.html

Comment

Thanks all. So it seems that firming them down well and planting them a little deeper is the way forward. Adding some fertiliser before and after they are planted seems another top tip.

Well, I'll be sowing them sometime at the start of March and then I'll just see what happens whilst baring in mind all the useful tips from on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Deano's "Diggin It" View Post
          Oh! And another thing, cut off the plant top, like a mini cabbage, and cook the very same way, To die for!
          Flying rats got mine before I had a chance!They must agree with your prognosis!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Snadge! While your about, collecting seed from sprouts

I presume you just leave the plant to "Bolt"

But having never seen a sprout plant run to seed???????????????????
            "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Snadge! While your about, collecting seed from sprouts

I presume you just leave the plant to "Bolt"

But having never seen a sprout plant run to seed???????????????????
              There you go Deano!

Small Town Gardens: Seed Saving - Brussels Sprouts
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Cheers Snadge!
                "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

This year I bought T&M mix seed pack that cover for long seasons harvest. comes around 30 seeds. how much space needed to plant 30 plants?

Comment

Elfeda! Having just had a quick look at the collection you have purchased, Surely you would not want to plant all 30, that's in fact indeed you get 100% germination.

Having to space them 60cm in both directions, 2 foot in old money, that would take up one hell of a lot of growing room!

Surely a couple of plants of each would suffice!

Comment

I got 4 plants in my 1.8m x 1m raised bed,but the leaves were growing over the edge.

Comment

I currently have 6 plants in a space 4' x 5'. They're harvesting well.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Oh! And another little tip I forgot to mention, as we all know we harvest the sprouts from the bottom of the stalk upwards.

So approaching winter time, you can trick the top two thirds of sprouts to all mature at the same time, awarding you a "Bumper Crop" for the big day, by cutting off the top of the plant 3 weeks before you want to harvest them.

Comment

Oh! And another little tip I forgot to mention, as we all know we harvest the sprouts from the bottom of the stalk upwards.

So approaching winter time, you can trick the top two thirds of sprouts to all mature at the same time, awarding you a "Bumper Crop" for the big day, by cutting off the top of the plant 3 weeks before you want to harvest them.
                            Probably being thick here but if you cut the top section off how will they mature?

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
                              Probably being thick here but if you cut the top section off how will they mature?
                              I don't know how it works, but it does! The pigeons ate the tops out of some of mine and the sprouts on these plants matured quicker than the ones that were left. This is quite handy if you don't want all your sprouts maturing together, as F1 plants are apt to do!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Sorry, still don't understand what you're actually doing here (been one of those days ). How much do you cut off and doesn't that mean you get less sprouts rather Han a bumper crop as you've just thrown away the top section?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X