• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cara = slug magnet

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
      cara = slug magnet
      Yes, it's a shame, they are a great all-round potato (baking, chips, mash) and high yields too. Can you suggest an equivalent maincrop spud with the same qualities but less attractive to slugs? My limited experimentation hasn't turned one up yet.
      My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
      Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

I can't recommend a maincrop Martin. I use Saro Mira for a maincrop and haven't tried it as a chipper. I use Kestrel - a second early and as said above, I use nematodes to counter slugs. Might be an idea to try Cara with nematodes if you really like that variety

Comment

I found manuring the bed before planting spuds seemed to attract slugs, I used to loose at least half the crop. Now I add compost/muck for other crops in the rotation and add only BFB when planting potatoes. Have hardly any slug damage now. Last year apart from first earlies I grew Kestrel, Charlotte, Sarpo Axona and Sarpo Kifli.
          Location ... Nottingham

Comment

What about using grow bags or tubs instead? If you're using fresh soil this should minimise / eradicate the keel slugs?! And cheaper than spraying!

Comment

where you going to get the soil? If part of your veg plot has keeled slugs, the likelihood is that the whole plot is affected?

Comment

My dear auld Dad, gawd bless his soul, struggled with a keel slug problem all his life! He even resorted to watering the rows with ***** fluid before planting and putting napthalene(mothballs) in the rows.

And still the slugs kept coming, with my poor auld Mother having to cut the bad bits away!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                  where you going to get the soil? If part of your veg plot has keeled slugs, the likelihood is that the whole plot is affected?
                  Apologies - by fresh soil I meant new topsoil / compost / whatever growing material you'd choose to use - i.e something not already contaminated
                  Last edited by vixylix; 08-01-2016, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X