Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When are you planting your first tatties of 2016?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When are you planting your first tatties of 2016?

I was told from a guy at work that you tatties goes in as followed
    1st Jan
    2nd feb
    3rd mar

I followed the packet advice and my xmas tatties are terrible!
    I dunno if its because I used container planting this time round or if I planted them too late.
    I planted maris, rooster and another kind they look like old tatties.

When do you plant yours?
    If you want to view paradise
    Simply look around and view it.

I put earlies in during March, the rest in April. Depending on the weather, if it's as cold as last spring then I'll delay a bit.
    My gardening blog: In Spades, last update 30th April 2018.
    Chrysanthemum notes page here.

Comment

Even here in Spain i do not put mine out till mid feb, only experimental ones in pots from old sprouted potatoes.
      I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Here they recon that tattie planting day is St Joseph 19th March but it could vary with the moon!
        Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

Some say Good Friday, other say St Patrick's Day.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

It was my first year this year but I put them all (first early, second early and maincrop) in about the end of April after the frosts looked to have finished and they all worked okay for me. Don't know if I will bother with maincrop but I'm already looking forward to freshly dug new potatoes again for 2016.
            Posted on an iPad so apologies for any randomly auto-corrected gobbledegook

Comment

Originally posted by 4390evans View Post
              I was told from a guy at work that you tatties goes in as followed
              1st Jan
              2nd feb
              3rd mar
              Go back and ask him what varieties, where you should plant them and generally cross-examine him. If he can't answer you sensibly, he's winding you up

Comment

^^^^Yes, I am rather intrigued as to why he told you that. I bunged all mine in end of April I think, but that was just how it worked out.

Comment

I do a few in a 40L bag in mid-Feb for really early potatoes, and then the rest go in March/April whenever the plot's less wet.
                  http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

I'll be planting Rocket in the middle of February, in buckets wrapped in bubble wrap in my garage. When the tops appear (or 1st April whichever is sooner) they will go outside under plastic cloches. 1st April because thats when the sun actually gets into the garden and will warm the pots.

The remainder go into their buckets in the garage in early March and are put outside when the tops start to show, under cloches if necessary.
                    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Two pieces of advice.

(1) Follow the advice given above.

(2) Ignore the person who advised 1st January, he probably lives on the equator.

Like others I do a few buckets mid to late Feb for extra earlies but these are in the GH with emergency heating if required. All the rest go in between mid March and mid April
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

He is a lad from work, he prob was winding me up, just thought that with my container xmas tatties being so poor he might be right.
                        So I can plant tatties in april and leave them till xmas?
                        If you want to view paradise
                        Simply look around and view it.

Comment

Depending on whether you grow 1st or 2nd earlies, or maincrop, they'll be ready between 12-20 weeks. You wouldn't really plant tatoes in April to dig in December - although I have some in bags as an experiment.

Comment

I always find so called Christmas spuds a bit hit and miss dependant on the year. I don't bother now, just use stored main crop for nice crispy roasties.

Not this year though someone else has the privilege of preparing and cooking our Christmas lunch.
                            Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Christmas spuds usually appear Aug/ Sept time in shops for planting but as already said they are rather hit and miss.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X