No announcement yet.

Monkey Nut Challenge!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds good,I've been googling & they can be grown in pots too "at least 12 inches (30 cm) deep and 18 inches (46 cm) across will meet the needs of one robust peanut plant". They like a sandy soil so I might try some in a pot & some in the ground because I'm on clay.

Comment

Originally posted by Nicos View Post
      If they are treated then it'd only be on the hard outer shell.

The link I put up says don't use the ones already out of their shells as they dry out...freshly open them yourself- so if they have been sprayed, I doubt anything will have got inside?
      Yes, you can either take the nuts out of the case leaving the red skin in place or what I am going to do is simply cut a slit in the outer casing to allow moisture in.
      sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
      --------------------------------------------------------------------
      Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
      -------------------------------------------------------------------
      Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
      -----------------------------------------------------------
      KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Interesting! I dont have room this year but hopefully next year!

I wouldnt have thought you'd be able to grow them in the UK - I look forward to seeing all your results!!

Comment

Well I'm in now. Han saw the thread and started to read it. So my mom is picking me some monkey nuts up from town.
          Well they can keep VC's apple seedlings company
          sigpic

Comment

Great stuff , more pots in the garden to P the wife off .
            Love growing different stuff so deffo in. grew ginger this year Mal, was a bit late sewing but it worked out ok for a may plant i guess.

Comment

Think I'll give it a go. Nobody in our household eats monkey nuts but I reckon the birds will love me for it!
              @thecluelessgardener

Comment

Count me in too Bigmally

Comment

I will join. I shall plant meself in Jan.

(you already know I am a nut, but I was born in the year of the monkey - therefore I must be a monkey nut )

Comment

Count me in as well Bigmally. Love trying something different, especially when its against the odds.

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Oh go on then. I have grown them before actually, but since I was a teenager at the time, it was so many decades ago I can't remember the outcome. Mind you I'm getting to the stage where I can't remember the outcome to last nights Dinner
                      What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                      Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Brilliant................no backing out now.........
                        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

NOW i just have to try this one,and have a place in mind,
                          sigpicAnother nutter ,wife,mother, nan and nanan,love my growing places,seed collection and sharing,also one of these

Comment

Welcome on board lottie.....................

Comment

I've had them grow in the garden where squirrels have buried them, and yes, they had a peanut pod under the soil when I dug them up. In fact, that was how I knew it was a peanut plant the first time....

And my garden's north facing and very shady, so in a sunny spot I reckon they will grow well.
                              Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                              Endless wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
                                Good to see so many on board & fully understand those who can't or don't want to join in............it's just a bit of fun really..................a Ginger challenge may follow, who knows..............
                                I actually bought a piece of Ginger in the chinese shop yesterday with that intention.

And when your back stops aching,
                                And your hands begin to harden.
                                You will find yourself a partner,
                                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X