No announcement yet.

Swiss Chard

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I start mine in modules, thin to one plant let it grow a bit and plant it out.
    Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I hate it. I tried it last year and found that it got shredded by caterpillars and slugs, and the very small amount that was fit to eat was stringy and tasteless. Spinach is hugely superior. I won't be growing chard again.

Each to their own!
      A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
        I hate it. I tried it last year and found that it got shredded by caterpillars and slugs, and the very small amount that was fit to eat was stringy and tasteless. Spinach is hugely superior. I won't be growing chard again.

Each to their own!
        Well I wasn't expecting that response after the positives but great to get a full picture. I do tend to get quite a few slugs on my plot and to that end put nematodes down amongmy brassicas last year so this feedback is important.

Comment

It is very earthy tasting, similar to beetroot leaves. I could not have it by itself but mixed in with other things its lovely
          I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by janzbro View Post
            next year (my 1st year) I am dedicting an 8x4 bed for the chickens. no1 on my list is chard, followed closely by cabbage, you never know I might even get some for the table LOL
            I also grow lettuce just for the ladies, it is one of their favourites and they devour within minutes, i over sow the seeds, take out the thinning for salads and some to the girls. Just keep thinning to get full sized lettuce and let the others grow and make use.
            I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

I'll be growing Swiss Chard for the first time next year, no idea if I even like it!
              @thecluelessgardener

Comment

I'm not a fan - but I've only ever had it from the supermarket. I'm sure (as with everything) that home grown is vastly superior!

Comment

I love it - grow rainbow chard, the classic thick ribbed white and green perpetual spinach. The leaves are certainly more like beetroot leaves than spinach and it stands right through the winter. Unlike true spinach, it is one of the few plants that doesn't get decimated by my army of slugs, indeed it is one of the leafy plants that I can get away with sowing direct. I have three 1.5m rows
                  Cooking - leaves go in lasagnes, quiches, curries, buttered under fish, steamed with soy and ginger, stems in stir frys, gratins.
                  Looks pretty, too as the red leaves go really dark in the cold. Should we have any!!
                  In the spring I cut some right down to the ground and the new fresh leaves make a good early addition to salads.
                  Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

I grow Bright Lights Chard. I'm not a massive fan of chard, but its really pretty and the chooks love it, which makes it worth growing. I must say I've never had a problem keeping it going through the winter and the good thing about it is that you can still keep harvesting it when it eventually bolts.
                    Last edited by skeggijon; 10-11-2015, 03:12 PM.
                    What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                    Pumpkin pi.

Comment

I love chard and have grown it for years. The one piece of advice I'd offer is to 'cut and come again'. Just snip the outside leaves and let new ones develop from the centre. I've been feeding off about half a dozen plants all year.

Comment

I'm not that keen on chard either, although I love spinach. I haven't really had success with either in this country, they just seem to get chronically infested with leaf miner and don't thrive. I believe the solution is to cover with enviromesh.

I would guess if you're a fan of beetroot (I'm not) you'll like chard ok.

Comment

After wilting the leaves by steaming or microwaving they freeze well so you can keep picking even if not needed immediately. The only irksome job is washing the leaves to get any grit off.
                          Riddlesdown (S Croydon)

Comment

forgot to mention I have a a couple of packets of rainbow chard , dont know if this is the same as bright lights - looks the same judging by the packet
                            82.6% of people believe any statstic!

Comment

I have it growing directly from seed and find it very hardy over winter... Not as nice as spinach IMO...and the Slugs agree
                              I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
                              sigpic

Comment

This thread made me want to make my favourite Chard and spicy sausage penne pasta dish. Great on rainy nights like this weekend. Agree with comments about being a sturdier flavour than spinach, but have never been a fan of spinach as I find it too bland, only ever eaten supermarket stuff though.
                                Death to all slugs!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X