Walled garden harbours damp and pests

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bearded bloke View Post
    Marb, it seems to me that your problems started a long time ago & have just continued at the same level since you "imported" your first load of horse muck, basically your problems will continue until you have disposed of all the soil that was contaminated at that time & replaced it with good quality topsoil/compost.
    Sorry, but that sounds a very impractical solution and totally unnecessary.

Comment

have I missed something earlier in the thread about contaminated horse muck apart from BB's post.

Horse muck in itself I think would improve any garden. If contaminated with amino pyralid which I think perhaps BB is driving at, then regrettably he is probably correct so far as distorted plants are concerned.

Perhaps someone could clarify?

Comment

Contaminated manure has been suggested as a cause of some of Marb's problems in previous threads.

Comment

Ahhhhh. Trying to grow broad beans should give a fair indication of whether the soil is contaminated or not but that would be best done in springtime when spring springs

Comment

when it always does of course

Comment

Here's one thread http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...tes_85912.html

Comment

Thanks VC.

Marb, I can't understand why you are so reluctant to accept the advice being given. The problems being associated with this selective weedkiller have been very well publicised.

As I understand matters, the legal position presently in the UK, and please everyone feel free to correct me, is that the product can still be lawfully used but the user must ensure that affected manure does not leave the farm on which it has been applied. It won't affect your problem with pests and damp but it will cause plants to distort in growth. There is only one remedy!!!!

Comment

Aminopyralid - a time bomb hidden in manure This is worth a read.

Comment

so is this earlier thread

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ure_39626.html

Comment

^^^^^^^A fascinating and informative article. Not something I would wish on my worst enemy.
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Aberdeenplotter View Post
                        Ahhhhh. Trying to grow broad beans should give a fair indication of whether the soil is contaminated or not
                        Speaking of broad beans .........

It actually started in Marb's first thread (http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ear_73693.html) when rustylady picked-up on .....

Originally posted by Marb67 View Post
                        A lot of my plants in the garden get twisted, bubbling and distorted leaves.
                        Last edited by bearded bloke; 30-10-2015, 11:21 PM.
                        He who smiles in the face of adversity,has already decided who to blame

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Comment

Sorry Marb, after reading those threads it sounds like the riding school poo is the main cause of your issues and as already said replacing your soil is the only answer. I think I read that that pesticide is meant to remain active for 15 years - do you really want another 7 years of issues with still no guarantees?

I really am sorry to read all that, but as a gardener onward and upward, bit by bit you'll do it

Comment

Well it affects only some plants and not others. Some of the bubbling leaves happen to plants in fresh, shop bought compost in pots so that can't be the problem. Besides, it's a ridiculous notion to expect me to lift all the soil from my garden to take to where ? And how ? I think it's a pest issue, not chemicle as my early b beans, runner beans, courgettes ard more have not been affected (by the bubbling) I can see small holes on a lot of leaf hence the pest. Another thing that gets me down is the kale, chard etc starts off growing really strong and vigorous and then ( like a lot of other plants) grows small er and smaller. Even chard, spicy salad, rocket in the greenhouse soil ( and it's mild weather this autumn) All my greens have done this but Monty Don still has giant greens on his plot. Mine are nothing like his although they look healthy enough. I feel that the lack of sun this time of year hitting the garden does for everything. I want to provide greens through winter but with the plants slow growth I can't see it. I ddin't even get a single sprout from last years plants, just harvested the leaf. Just wish we could afford a place in the country with a bit of land and space to do more. Very very frustrating and no, I don't want to join an allotment as I enjoy gardening alone in private. Perhaps I am being a perfectionist and do not like not being able to control everything.

However I am grateful to all suggestions and will try them. I like the idea of limeing the walls, especially in the greenhouse where they are starting to grow green algae. This could solve a lot of problems. Also perhaps make the garden less cramped and allow more air to get around. I do have plenty of birds, frogs and a hedgehog that visits from time to time so I take pleasure in small blessings like that at least.
                            Last edited by Marb67; 31-10-2015, 10:38 AM.

Comment

There's nane sae blind as them that winnae see

Comment

You have to cut your coat according to your cloth, Marb.
                                If your garden is too shaded and the air can't circulate because of the high walls and ?hedges/trees, then, in my view, you should give up trying to grow crops that need sunlight. Maybe give up trying to grow crops at all and concentrate on flowers and plants that may be more tolerant. Woodland plants for example.
                                Its no good struggling each year and becoming depressed when plants fail. Its better to work with your garden. Make it a haven for wildlife, and for you.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X