Growing leeks for exhibition.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
    AP which varieties would you grow for exhibition (that are tasty aswell) ?
    I grow Pendle Improved as a blanch(long) leek and as I said above will be growing Cumbria Cross as a pot(short and dumpy ) leek. What doesn't end up on the show bench will go in the soup .

For an ordinary kitchen leek, I still think Mussleburghtakes a whole lot of beating.

Comment

Watching with interest, any advice is appreciated! All my leeks ended like pencils last season!
      sigpic

Comment

I am a bit of a 'dabbler' myself. I have two seeded leeks, one of my own strain that i've been using for three years now and one seed leek given to me by the daughter of a good leek grower who died last year. His strain would have died with him if I hadn't seeded one of his daughters leeks, as she had no interest in growing them.
        Both leeks were seeded and shaved accordingly and I started some grass off about a month ago. The heads are still standing with lots more grass on them, so before the frosts come I may cut them off and plant up a few more.
        I have a dozen leeks of each about matchstick size now and about 4 inches high. Just being a dabbler, these will probably run to seed because of their early planting, but I'll give them a chance anyway.
        I must find time to do as you say AP and get another goodly amount potted up. Its surprising how many you get from a single head. I have also left a few flowers to set seed and will try these also in the spring.
        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Took a photograph this morning of the leeks I put down to seed early in September. Note they are all clearly labeled. Note also there has been a foot or so of growth since planting up
          Attached Files

Comment

got camera on the go again this morning. here's a pic of some pips throwing roots and now ready for planting up. Not to sure about the plant on the left. There's a hint of brown on part of the root system. If that doesn't rinse off, that pip will end up in the compost bin.
            Attached Files

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X