No announcement yet.

Top 10 vegetables to grow over winter

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leeks, swede, savoy cabbage, Brussels, curly kale, garlic. In the greenhouse - corn salad, spinach, ruby chard, pak choi and salad stuff.

Ooops! That's 11

Comment

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      Never heard of them being eaten raw, they're definitely a cooked veggie to me. I didn't used to be keen as I'd always left them too long on the plant but picked young and small they're lovely and sweet
      Served as a tapa when in season, you see in the bars green pods on the floor everywhere. Try it next year, but not for me.
      I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

No PSB VC? Surely the best winter veg!

I've got lots of PSB, broad beans, garlic and leeks - I'm going to do shallots inside from seeds around christmas time. Love having the garden with stuff in over winter - last year it was totally bare apart from one lonely spring onion!

Comment

From that list I've got onions, garlic, and spring cabbages on the go. I've also got a load of kale some PSB, pak choi, leeks, lamb's lettuce, and three types of chard. I might start some broad beans in big root trainers in the tunnel, but they won't get planted out until Spring.
          He-Pep!

Comment

Japanese onions, two types of garlic, mizuna, lamb's lettuce, chinese cabbage and as much green manure as possible.
            My blog: www.grow-veg.uk

@Grow_Veg_UK

Comment

Sometimes the winter veg seems easier to deal with than suddenly finding a zillion courgettes that all want eating NOW!

I have:
              Leeks
              Parsnips
              Kales - nero, tronchuda & red russian
              Cabbages - spring, red & savoy
              Lettuces & lamb's lettuce
              Broad beans (when sown, still dry as a bone out there)
              Winter peas (ditto)
              Garlic & spring onions and may have a go at onion sets again after a few years without
              Chard
              Romanesco caulis
              PSB & WSB
              Turnips
              Pak choi (a single plant that we are saving for a special dinner!)
              Mizuna & mustard greens

Plus we also have asparagus which we should get the first crop from next year and globe artichokes which are always prolific and early, unless we have a harsh winter.
              Le Sarramea https://jgsgardening.blogspot.com/

Comment

How are kale and PSB absent from that list?

I hate lamb's lettuce. It's a texture thing.

I have 2 kinds of kale, leeks, beets, turnips, swedes, PSB, sprouts, kohlrabi, winter carrots, spinach and oca in the ground. My globe artichokes are still happily producing away.
                Garlic, peas and broadies have yet to go in.
                http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

A couple of weeks ago I sowed some Brussels sprouts Evesham special,winter gem lettuce & white lisbon spring onion seeds,they're tiny seedlings at the moment. Two days ago I planted out some electric onion sets & elephant garlic,still to do between now & November meteor peas.

Comment

Nothing due to low light levels. If I'm honest, I'm a bit of a fair weather gardener

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X