Tomato plants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
    The main difficulty with overwintering tomato plants indoors is lack of light making them very leggy. Grow lights are better than windowsills. If this does happen, don't despair - harvest some sideshoots in spring and grow them on - they will be earlier than seedlings. You can also let one or two of the bottom sideshoots develop on the original plant and cut down the long leggy winter stem.
    Excellent advice.
    photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

The stem I'd cut down is still in the blow away,its about 5 inches tall,it had 3 shoots coming off it,it would be nice if that root system could be overwintered because they do like sending out side shoots,I can't see that being a problem,but how could you make it sterile incase of fungi,hot water shock treatment I don't know? I imagine it would want to rot? Has anyone ever overwintered an actual root system? I could bring it into the hallway where it can be coldish.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
        Excellent advice.
        Yup, I second that, Cheers Pene.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
        --------------------------------------------------------------------
        Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
        -------------------------------------------------------------------
        Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
        -----------------------------------------------------------
        KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I don't mind if they get a bit leggy, as they're only being grown to provide shoots to start next year's plants from ;

If they do get really leggy before Spring, I'll just root some cuttings and throw the old plant away. Simples.

Comment

Originally posted by Penellype View Post
            The main difficulty with overwintering tomato plants indoors is lack of light making them very leggy. Grow lights are better than windowsills. If this does happen, don't despair - harvest some sideshoots in spring and grow them on - they will be earlier than seedlings. You can also let one or two of the bottom sideshoots develop on the original plant and cut down the long leggy winter stem.
            Great idea that! Thank you.

Just added a little note to the side of my pot written on masking tape telling my this little tip so i don't forget.
            Last edited by Scoot; 17-10-2015, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Scoot View Post
              Just added a little note to the side of my pot written on masking tape telling my this little tip so i don't forget.
              "For Surrogacy Only"................
              sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
              --------------------------------------------------------------------
              Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
              -------------------------------------------------------------------
              Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
              -----------------------------------------------------------
              KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

Is it best to leave these side shoots in a sunny window or a not so sunny window?

Comment

Mines on a south facing windowsill.
                  Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Doh, I was determined not to bother doing this again, but......
                    What do you get if you divide the circumference of a pumpkin by its diameter?
                    Pumpkin pi.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X