No announcement yet.

Cover Or Cultivate?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I try and keep a crop or green manure on beds at all times. Preferably a crop.
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by sparrow100 View Post
      Same here - garlic needs to go in yet. Plus broad beans and peas. How did i think an extra quarter plot would be enough?!
      Arghh, forgot about the garlic and was going to get an overwintering crop of broad beans going but the wife wants the outside (hardening off) table back and there's still 3 trays of spring cabbage and a tray of kale to remove......

No vacancies here, or to coin a phrase soon to be ringing around the schools of England "There's no room at the Inn...."

Comment

As my beds become vacant I intend first, to cover them with a mix of seaweed and shredded garden waste, tree branches and old compost, then leave it over the winter, the only crops will be some leeks 8 cabbages and three root of chard, the cabbages are covered with a small enviromesh tunnel to give some protection.
        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I also have Leeks, Parsnips & Spring Brassicas on the go but by the time they are emptied, it will be time to go again so those beds won't get a rest so to speak. They will however get a good topping up with organic matter.
          Last edited by Bigmallly; 07-10-2015, 09:16 PM.
          sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
          --------------------------------------------------------------------
          Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
          -------------------------------------------------------------------
          Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
          -----------------------------------------------------------
          KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

I don't have much spare space yet although the legume beds won't be used over winter and so will be sowing green manures there. Apart from that they're pretty full with winter brassicas, leeks, garlic, winter onions, carrots, parsnips and winter salads

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

My empty times are July and the beginning of August.
              I still have a bit of space but its filling quite quickly, i am trying not to plant 50 broccoli seedlings at once, but its hard seeing a space but need to leave space for successional, i am very bad at this
              I grow 70% for us and 30% for the snails, then the neighbours eats them

sigpic

Comment

I'm having a nightmare! We're converting from four beds for our first growing season this year, to five beds plus a raspberry bed next year, plus I've got leeks, swede, parsnips, spinach and PSB standing. All, of course, in spaces that will be paths next year.... ARGH!

It's like a crazy sliding puzzle....

Sorry, slightly off-topic, but...

Comment

I would like to be more experienced in using the beds continuously,but I'm not quite there,maybe one day. My sweetcorn finished,so I've mulched the area with sweetcorn plant choppings for now,birds can get in there to find all the slugs. My runner beans haven't all finished yet,some have so I've cut them up as a mulch,it stops a lot of weeds & adds a bit of nutrients to the soil. My carrots in a big pot finished,I left it uncovered,within the week I spotted my cat in there,I think he was marking his territory,I didn't find any mess in there thankfully. My raised bed still has a few bits in there,Including my first attempt at leeks,they're thicker than grass blades now! I'l empty it very soon & put some meteor peas in there to overwinter,so if they're ready in the spring,I can plant brassica in there in June.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X