No announcement yet.

over wintering chillis

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't be surprised if some drop their leaves and others don't. My scotch bonnet last year was just a stick for a while, then in direct comparison my habanero fruited all the way up to Christm@s, stopped for 6 weeks and then started again. Good luck and keep us posted

Comment

Anyone have any advice on overwintering rocoto chillies, Capsicum pubescens?

Someone gave me one this spring; apparently they can cope with lower temperatures than other chillies, but I'm having trouble finding much more info than that.

I've got chillies through winter alive, if not exactly healthy before, do I just do the same windowsill/minimal water routine with this?
      Last edited by hamamelis; 19-09-2015, 06:29 PM.
      My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

Originally posted by chilli_grower View Post
        I am overwintering just one plant this year (fairy light).

All I do, is lightly trim the plant (just so it takes up less room indoors), and then I bung it indoors somewhere bright.

And water very little, and just keep my fingers crossed....

Works for me!!!
        Roughly speaking, that's how I do it
        I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hamamelis View Post
          I've got chillies through winter alive, if not exactly healthy before, do I just do the same windowsill/minimal water routine with this?
          Yes, just the same. Did you get much fruit this year? I had one for a couple of years but only got a few fruit.

Comment

None yet, the first flowers are just opening now.
            My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

Just thinking there, I think Scarlet is right about the habaneros being a good one to overwinter.. I seem to manage to get them thru easier than others..
              I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives....

...utterly nutterly
              sigpic

Comment

I was going to give overwintering a go, but I've discovered in recent days my plants are getting plastered in Whitefly and I don't want THAT again.!

So my plants are slowly being chopped up for the compost when the run out of puff.
                Blogging at..... www.thecynicalgardener.wordpress.com

Comment

Mine have the tell tale signs of caterpillar attack...although the culprits themselves are devilishly hard to find... so I'm afraid all plans to bring them indoors are off.
                  http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by muddled View Post
                    Mine have the tell tale signs of caterpillar attack...although the culprits themselves are devilishly hard to find... so I'm afraid all plans to bring them indoors are off.
                    Mine are too - why does this mean I cant bring them inside? Just because I'd be bringing caterpillars inside?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X