Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kings is my first choice for most seeds

Comment

Previously just bought seeds from the supermarket or local equivalent of B&Q's garden area.

Bought from Real Seeds this year after deciding to go all out in the new house's garden. Been very impressed with the success ratio and amount of food we have got out of them after just buying commercial seeds. Not all were great, the leeks were small and the caulis disappointing(at least compared to the other stuff). Pumpkins, carrots, broccoli tomatillos, parsley(root and leaf), courgette have been brilliant with the tomatoes giving us the best ever crop after I was thinking of knocking growing them on the head till we get a greenhouse. I think the heirloom seed just seems more rugged.

Comment

I have mainly used Premier Seeds on eBay, always received good quality seeds

Comment

Norfolkgrey is right, there are pretty strict regulations for seed companies - regardless of whether large or small! - regarding viability which has to be tested and documented regularly before packets get sent to the shops.

And there's the problem. Big supermarkets, garden areas etc. are VERY bad environments for paper seed packets. Big differences in temperature and humidity throughout the day, every day, for weeks or even months. If seeds sulk after sitting in such an unfriendly place for a while you can't blame it on the company.

Also, sometimes it seems as if nothing came up when in fact seeds did germinate but didn't make it, due to getting slugged or some conditions in the soil that didn't agree with them. It's always a good idea to keep a small number of seeds and also the packet, and if there are problems, you can indeed give the company some feedback because if there really is an issue, they will be genuinely interested in it.
          ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

I'm also a big fan of Realseeds. Partly because of their quality, partly because of their philosophy. Not very many seed producers give you detailed descriptions on how to save your own seeds, and actively protest against the horrible development in the commercial breeding business and seed laws. And they are brave enough to go the extra mile in order to preserve varieties that would be otherwise be lost, and make them available for everyone. I love them.
            ...bonkers about beans... and now a proud Nutter!

Comment

Thanks all for clarifying me on seeds storage etc, and thanks to VC as well for explaing about VSP on the same. I am only weighing VSP with other seeds because of my budget this year to spend 20Ł total to buy any. and I only need small quantities of seeds this year to give try several verieties.

for example I want to have squashes/courgetts, beans mix pack ( of couple of known varieties and total of 5 or 6 seeds) of seeds instead few of each, as I have few of them allready. this way I can use p all of them in the same year. I know this is extra pain for VSP but if at all possible ..!!!

Comment

I am impressed by sparrows pic of Dancing with Smurfs tomatoes but the seeds seem to be like hens teeth, has anyone come across them in any of the above seed suppliers..thanks.,
                sigpic

Comment

^^^ VC and the VSP. They are under the Black/Purple toms http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ml#post1318509

Comment

Aren't there some in the VSP?

If not, sent me a PM, I have fresh seed from this year. Will be out of the rice jar at the end of the month.
                    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

snap NG!
                      http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X