No announcement yet.

all the soil, all the growbags...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have had loads of slugs and snails this year on the compost despite pellets all the time. What is the best way to reuse this material. Bought at least 40 bags of compost [70 litre bags]
    Am hoping to grow about 100 boxes of bedding plants to give to the local hospice so would hope to be able to use it for this.
    Thanks.
    Bob
    Last edited by goosander; 13-09-2015, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Yes you could reuse it for flowers.
      Just freshen it up with a bit of plant food.

Comment

I usually put mine in the compost bin and just add all the kitchen scraps over the year to it, but the other year I just dumped in in my boarders. I'm growing tatties in bins and those little black boxes you get with your blue recycling bin so its not to heavy to pick up. Don't put them in the ground you will be pulling them out for years to come
        If you want to view paradise
        Simply look around and view it.

Comment

Old growing containers and hanging baskets get tipped into the general composting bin to be incorporated into next years garden compost. More loom to the soil is always a good thing. Reusing it direct is fine if you feed it first. Some of my Deep flower planters only get the top 1/3 of new material each year and a lump of self made garden compost and blood, fish and bonemeal mixed into the old stuff to feed deep roots.

Comment

Originally posted by Knight of Albion View Post
            Work it into your vegetable patch. The nutrients, what there were to begin with, will be spent but it all helps add to the consistency of the soil.
            This is what i do. I keep some of it to start my seeds away next year, it works fine and the rest goes into the veg patch. Every couple of years though i have to take a few inches off and throw it away as the soil level just keeps getting higher and higher if you don't.

Comment

Originally posted by Potstubsdustbins View Post
              Store it over winter, come spring riddle it to remove roots etc, add growmore or blood fish and bone and reuse it.

Provided you have had no disease you can use it for anything, I have no idea how old some of my compost is and only buy a small amount of new for seed sowing purpose's as I like to know it is sterile.

This year I shall be storing and reusing round about 2000ltrs

Is this the growmore stuff you are on about?

Elixir 25Kg Growmore Fertilizer/Plant food/Greenhouse: Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

Comment

That's the stuff 7-7-7 neutral fertilizer only buy it in 5 kilo boxes though as that lasts me 3 t0 4 years.
                Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

How much do you add to the compost, per litre of compost? It says 50g per 1 metre squared on the front of that but I'm not usually one for "measuring" compost with a ruler lol.

Comment

Hmmm I think maybe adding it to compost might be good, I struggle to put "brown" stuff in and think I have too much green
                    newbie! Be gentle with me while I learn the basics of growing stuff
                    Kirstie x

Comment

#23 Not much of a one for measuring either, I mix in a 35ltr container and just throw in a small handful, its acts like a basic fertilizer and starts the growing process. I then supplementary feed according to what's it that container and its needs.

As a for instance radish would get very little else if anything.

Main crop spuds would get a handful of potato fertilizer at the premix stage, at 6 to 14 weeks a dose of high nitrogen every two weeks changing to high potash once a fortnight at 16 weeks until harvest.
                      Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

It's mainly tomatoes i grow in all the pots i have. 10 and 20 ltr ones. I think a very small handful will be enough if you only put a small handful into 35ltrs. Thanks for the advice.

I think i may order that 25kg bag. It'll save me money every year buying compost like i have been.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X