No announcement yet.

What Do You Wish You Could Grow?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plain old garlic for me I've had white onion rot in two places now over the past two years. I'm really running out of areas where I can try again.

Comment

Quick post! Only just realised I'm on 666!!!!!!!!....................
      "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

...........Phew!...........
        "Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad"

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
          Plain old garlic for me I've had white onion rot in two places now over the past two years. I'm really running out of areas where I can try again.
          Have you tried growing garlic in a container with fresh compost?
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Celery for me. When i was a child my dad always grew massive celery, big white heads which we 2 girls helped to water in the fine weather. He would tie the leaves up with twine and earth them up to make them tall and white. I could never get mine to grow like that. It was a long time ago so perhaps that particular variety is no longer available.
            He would also send some to the vegetable market.
            Happy days they were.

And when your back stops aching,
            And your hands begin to harden.
            You will find yourself a partner,
            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

I'm another one that can't grow cauliflower very well. Don't mind to much as I don't eat the disgusting stuff! But I don't like to fail at my veggie growing

Comment

I've decided it must be okra. We've had 2 pretty hot summers in a row here in Brittany and I've tried 2 different varieties, one of which is supposedly suited to cooler climates. Last year they failed to get any taller than about 3 inches. This year I left them in, hoping they might eventually get going. I've read that they can grow to 6 feet and are really prolific, but this year they still only got to about 8 inches. I probably got about 8 fruits from 4 plants, and half of those were too stringy to eat! Might have to give up on this one.

Comment

Sorry to snigger Deano but thats what you get for growing beautiful celery. Ha Ha my hex worked I see!
                  Last edited by Lumpy; 29-08-2015, 04:44 PM. Reason: duh! spelling
                  I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. Thomas A. Edison

Outreach co-ordinator for the Gnome, Pixie and Fairy groups within the Nutters Club.

Comment

I won't put ya some in ya "Cyber Locker" then!

Comment

I would like to be able to grow parsnips. But my parsnips never seem to do anything. Don't seem to germinate or anything.Quite depressing really.
                      I managed to grow leeks last year by starting them off in seed trays. First time ever
                      sigpic

Comment

Butternut squash. I've tried and failed for the past 3 years. Maybe it's the climate here or maybe I'm making some basic error, but every year they just shrivel up and die.

Comment

corriander. I got so many germinated and grown to few inches to get picked enough.. but i only wanted them so bushy and could not cope with watering or transplanting stuff..so lost them with out harvests..hope I do them better next year. I want a 2 sq.m corriander patch

Comment

I think I'll have to second the butternut squash; my brassicas never really do that well, but I don't really mind much, but I've never even had a female flower on a butternut, and I love butternut squash.

Other squash I can grow (not a great crop- my ground's too poor for that), but not them.
                            My spiffy new lottie blog

Comment

Some seasons one thing fails (this year it was cauli, all bolted) another season it will be something else (beetroot comes to mind).

But having had a lot of season's to try I have managed to grow what I want at some time, just not that particular season when I want to grow it....................if you see what I mean.
                              Potty by name Potty by nature.

By appointment of VeggieChicken Member of the Nutters club.

We hang petty thieves and appoint great ones to public office.

Aesop 620BC-560BC

sigpic

Comment

It's carrots for me, same as Deano. Soil's too heavy, even with all the H/M compost it gets. Reckon I'll try "trenching" them like someone else did this year and got lovely carrots. Who was it now? I can't remember. Yes I'm that old...
                                Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                                Endless wonder.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X