No announcement yet.

"Early Purple Wight" garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying garlic for planting from supermarkets is a bit hit or miss in my opinion. Often they aren't British and may well need different growing conditions than what we have here. Hard and soft neck varieties have different keeping qualities. I really like to know what I'm growing. If you start off with some decent stock you can pick out the best and replant year after year.

Comment

well, I use lot of garlic like 3 or 4 bulbs a week.. so I was buying 1/2 kilo packs from asda to eat which has biggest cloves I found so far.

having that much usage makes it hard either to store the cloves for next year seed or buying 120 cloves from the farmer shops to match the size. ( I should buy elephant garlic cloves to match my req quantities though)

am only buying a kilo of garlic this year to get enough large cloves and see how to get along. I would not mind buy some from farmers market to give it a try though.

wonder how much usually you guys harvest per year and how long it will last interms of usage.
      Last edited by Elfeda; 27-08-2015, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Well their here

The postman brought my garlic today, a few small cloves but with a total of 41, cant gruble ey

And wow, just tasted one of the smaller ones and they are pretty potent
        Attached Files
        Last edited by jackarmy; 28-08-2015, 12:04 PM.

Comment

Hi jackarmy,

When are you going to plant these out? Think I might pop down the local allotment shop tomorrow and see how much they charge, if not I will get some from the same supplier you did. I am hoping to plant different varieties in Sep-Dec. I grew garlic this year, they did OK, but i planted them out in Jan

Comment

A quick read suggested October if i remember correctly but i will probably wait untill it gets a bit colder, last october was very mild so see how it goes i guess.
            Last edited by jackarmy; 28-08-2015, 12:33 PM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X