Keep it simple - less worry!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
    Light bulb moment - nobody deadheads or thins out wild daffs but they spread and look glorious. So why don't I stop dead heading and let all the daffs naturalise?
    That's another job I won't do again
    The modern varieties, I think, need to have their heads chopped off so that that make fat bulbs to support bigger flowers, rather than spend their energy setting seeds.
    Perhaps chop the heads off near the house where you want big flowers, and leave them to set seed further away.

Comment

Originally posted by Thelma Sanders View Post
      The modern varieties, I think, need to have their heads chopped off so that that make fat bulbs to support bigger flowers, rather than spend their energy setting seeds.
      Perhaps chop the heads off near the house where you want big flowers, and leave them to set seed further away.
      It's topical at the minute as we are in the middle of a heatwave here. Absolutely beautiful but I digress. I apply a high potash feed to daffodils after they have finished flowering and make sure they are watered well if it's dry until they die back. This helps them bulk up for next spring. I don't bother with deadheading as I have too many
      Gardening blog http://ploughyofurrow.blogspot.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        Digging up spuds today, I didn't have a clue whether they were 1st or 2nd earlies or maincrop - I dug up the plants & rows that looked finished. In future, I'm not going to worry about what type they are, just bung 'em in and dig them up when it seems right.
        I've made it even simpler now - plant in open bottomed pots, no earthing up or digging up. I still don't worry about whether they're 1st/2nd or maincrop.

Does anyone have some "Keep it simple" advice to add to this thread please?

Comment

Can you explain the bottomless pots bit for me pls VC?

Comment

That's simple - just cut off the bottoms of pots - I use flower buckets. If you sit them on the soil, pushed into it a bit for stability, its like a mini-raised bed. I grow spuds, carrots and parsnips this way outdoors and tomatoes and cucumbers in the GH too.
            Last edited by veggiechicken; 26-04-2018, 10:35 PM.

Comment

I do no dig, and just grow Autumn raspberries. Leave strong cane, 2-3 per plant for early crop next year. No need to do support system for summer ones.
              http://www.weeveggiepatch.blogspot.com

Comment

I deadheaded a couple of daffs today, on autopilot, then remembered that I don[t do that anymore!!
                Thought I'd bump this thread and see if anyone has some more "Keep it simple" suggestions!!

Comment

Just grow one variety of pea (hurst greenshaft for me) so can save seed from one year to next without thinking.

Graft tomatoes so they can be planted in the greenhouse border without succumbing to a dreaded lurgy.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X