Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Fancy Joining Me?.............If I Remember.

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mothhawk View Post
    I remember Bob Flowerdew grew lettuces just in water. They were in polystyrene seed trays, and he floated them in a water butt. and left them to get on with it. No slug damage at all
    That was my initial plan only using flower buckets.
    sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

My 17 year old son and myself had a little lettuce competition this summer, mine the traditional way and his using a home made hydroponics type system. He got tubs with lids the biggish storage ones for the water/feed, he cut holes in the lids to fit plastic cups, the cups he cut the bottoms off and attatched mesh circles with I believe his hot glue gun. The mesh was from the pound shop actually meant for cooking oven chips on. Genius little set up really, and his lettuces were far better than mine, bigger, tastier and no slug damage at all. Huge root systems going right down into the water in the tub. So yeah I'm in!

Comment

Cheers Muppet, that gives me confidence.
        sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”

Comment

BM. the photos shows a bit of a trailing petunia that had broken off from my basket I shoved it into a plastic tumbler and just kept topping it up with water, so as this grows ok I will join you and give it a go. PLEASE REMIND ME... regularly
          Attached Files
          it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

I know you said winter BM, but the weather is poor enough here to be winter, so I have made a start this evening The photos show how I am setting the trial up, I am using a trough that I have plugged, a polystyrene platform to float in the trough and holes cut in the tray, the cabbage plants with compost ,then washed I added two cola bottle tops of comfry, seaweed,worm juice tea as a feed put the cabbage roots through the holes into the water and placed the lot in the greenhouse I have also planted some cabbages in the garden to give a comparison.
            I will keep you updated,,,,,if I remember
            Attached Files
            Last edited by rary; 09-08-2015, 09:57 PM.
            it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Comment

After setting up the cabbage up as above seven weeks ago the ones in the water kept in the greenhouse are not moving much, the same type planted in the garden have grown about eight inches these were kept under fleece, and now micromesh, I have just placed seaweed around the outside cabbages to keep the slugs and snails off them. Now who can tell me how to get the ones in the water growing?

Comment

Some feed in the water?

Comment

Mine in the water are the same rary, throwing out lots of roots but no growth to talk about.

Comment

I started some old onion sets in modules floating in water, instead of in compost.

It was very easy to remove the sets from the modules, no soil to disturb or intertwined roots. In fact, it was so effective I'm always going to start onion sets this way.
                    Thanks BM for the inspiration
                    Attached Files

Comment

I might try a different no soil approach, producing food on discarded incontinence pads, these are available free from most care homes.
                      photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Wouldn't they be soiled incontinence pads, Bill?

Comment

Originally posted by rary View Post
                          After setting up the cabbage up as above seven weeks ago the ones in the water kept in the greenhouse are not moving much, the same type planted in the garden have grown about eight inches these were kept under fleece, and now micromesh, I have just placed seaweed around the outside cabbages to keep the slugs and snails off them. Now who can tell me how to get the ones in the water growing?
                          Since cabbages like very firm ground, perhaps they are just not happy with their roots free floating?
                          Location - Leicestershire - Chisit-land
                          Endless wonder.

Comment

After reading all these threads i am going to have a go with my onion sets and some lettuce. I will post some pics wgen i have it set up.

And when your back stops aching,
                            And your hands begin to harden.
                            You will find yourself a partner,
                            In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

So how do we feed these plants? I have tomorite but no idea what amount to use.
                              photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

Originally posted by Bill HH View Post
                                So how do we feed these plants? I have tomorite but no idea what amount to use.
                                A dollop should do Bill.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X