No announcement yet.

Ants

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water trays do work for keeping ants out of plant pots, as long as you keep them topped up. Pot feet are not so effective, as ants can climb.

The only problem with having pools of open water is that they are a breeding ground for mosquitos. There is always something...
    A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

You know, reading this thread reminded me of THEM

Reading articles on companion planting Pennyroyal is supposed to deter ants (along with flea beetle and midges, possibly aphids depending on the source)

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
      ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
      ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

Last edited by Bill HH; 08-08-2015, 09:14 AM.
        photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

I have an ants nest in a compost bin. they seem to make wonderful compost. I can see no other damage in the garden so I just let them be.
          photo album of my garden in my profile http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...my+garden.html

Comment

In general ants are not harmful, and can perform a useful function by aerating the soil. They become a pest when...

They make nests under plants or in pots, causing the soil to dry out and the plants to die.

They farm aphids for their honeydew, protecting them from natural predators such as hoverflies and ladybirds.

They decide to invade your house.

Some species of ant may bite or sting you if you disturb their nests.

After all,

The ant has made himself illustrious
            Through constant industry industrious.
            So what?
            Would you be calm and placid
            If you were full of formic acid?

The Ant
            by Ogden Nash
            Last edited by Penellype; 08-08-2015, 10:53 AM.
            A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X