Storing Onions

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SusieG View Post
    Penellype - your onion stringing sounds a bit complex, think I'd need to see you actually doing it to understand !!! Bet it's simple really, just me being a bit dim ...
    This is how I string mine, which I think is how Pene does hers':

sigpic“Gorillas are very intelligent, but they don't have to be as delicate as chimps -- they can just smash open the termite nest,”
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Official Member Of The Nutters Club - Rwanda Branch.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sent from my ZX Spectrum with no predictive text..........
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOYS - King Of Yellow Stickers..............

Comment

This is how I store my onions - in the house.
      The shallots in the foreground are last years and I've just finished using last year's onions. Very few of them went soft.

The onions in the background are this year's crop.
      When I'm bored with stringing them, I'm going to use Storage nets from the Swedish shop and hang them in the garage.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post
        The shallots in the foreground are last years and I've just finished using last year's onions. Very few of them went soft.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58074

When I'm bored with stringing them, I'm going to use Storage nets from the Swedish shop and hang them in the garage.

Got to get me one of those storage nets!!!! (Firstly-need to grow some onions!!!!!)
        ~~~ Gardening is medicine that does not need
        a prescription ... And with no limit on dosage.
        - Author Unknown ~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Bigmallly View Post
          This is how I string mine, which I think is how Pene does hers':

Yes, that is how I do mine.

There is a video showing how to plait onions (not the way I do it but interesting) here: How to plait Onions, Shallots or Garlic | LEARN HOW TO GARDEN
          A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP. - Leonard Nimoy

Comment

Great explanations. I grew all red onions this year after two years of disaster. They are really big but did start dying back about three weeks ago so I lifted them. I do dry in the tunnel but I usually have both sets of end doors open - however, maybe I need to think about moving them or using a stable. If I bought one of those nets to fill you could guarantee I'd only get three onions that year!
            "A life lived in fear is a life half lived."

PS. I just don't have enough time to say hello to everyone as they join so please take this as a delighted to see you here!

Comment

Originally posted by Norfolkgrey View Post
              I lift mine when they show signs of dying back not when they have died off. As mentioned mine go straight from ground to garage, If anything can sprout in my garage it is close to a miracle. It has 2 temperatures, cold and not so cold
              No sign of dying back yet on mine, weeded them all yesterday and suspect they'll be a couple of weeks yet so about the same time as most years

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Took up some today which have been dying back an they're drying in the greenhouse. Still have a bed of onions to pull up but they went in a little later and have just started to show signs of being done. Hopefully they'll be done in a couple of weeks - any earlier and I don't have anywhere to dry them as the garage is full of shallots.

New all singing all dancing blog - Jasons Jungle

�I have not failed 1,000 times. I have successfully discovered 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb."
                ― Thomas A. Edison

�Negative results are just what I want. They�re just as valuable to me as positive results. I can never find the thing that does the job best until I find the ones that don�t.�
                ― Thomas A. Edison

- I must be a Nutter,VC says so -

Comment

My shallots (from seed) are nowhere near ready yet!
                  Still fresh and green and standing to attention....I'm planning to lift them in September!
                  http://goneplotterin.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I'm a first time onion grower - my onions from seed are just starting to bend. V handy info, thanks all - particularly Greenleaves for asking!
                    http://mudandgluts.com - growing fruit and veg in suburbia

Comment

Re the Swedish shop storage nets. I've just tried a couple of 3 tier ones but they don't like the weight of a lot of onions and sag in the middle. I'm just going to use them for the stemless little ones.

It wasn't a very good idea ........As you were
                      Last edited by veggiechicken; 04-08-2015, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by veggiechicken View Post

[ATTACH=CONFIG]58074[/ATTACH]

Your stored onions/shallots are pretty impressive veggie! I've taught you well!
                        My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                        to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Drying out onions

Contrary to what's been said already, and I do respect those with a lot more experience, this is my first year growing onions, and I did hang them in the greenhouse, I checked them every other day, and they dried out just fine, they are now in a dark sack hanging in a foolish room by the kitchen and the wife has started using them. Oh did I mention I grew them in a bag not in the ground, very easy and they taste great.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X